Demand for welders?

JK&Beyond

I am about to go to school to get a degree in welding. Hopefully to start a custom (jeep) fabrication business. Just wondering, as far as the jeep community goes, how bad is the need for guys who can weld well and with a dedication to quality? I know welding has plenty of jobs in construction, oil, and marine fields, but I'm curious about this here jeep world...Thoughts??

Btw, I will be attending Galveston College, check it out, seems like a good place for a jeep network as Houston Jeep People is there. :brows:

MTG

Caught the Bug
In general, businesses are always looking to hire good people. I do not know about the welding field specifically. Good luck in school! :thumb:

Serg5000

Out here in California at our wind sites a welder is priceless. I believe they make around $35 to $40 an hour. The company supplies everything. The certified welder just shows up and punches the clock.

I don't know how much a certified welder contributes to a business of off-road. Tons of great welders that aren't certified. I imagine it can't hurt. And if things don't go as planned. Your cert will land you a well paying job.

Dave_g

Out here in California at our wind sites a welder is priceless. I believe they make around $35 to $40 an hour. The company supplies everything. The certified welder just shows up and punches the clock.

I don't know how much a certified welder contributes to a business of off-road. Tons of great welders that aren't certified. I imagine it can't hurt. And if things don't go as planned. Your cert will land you a well paying job.

I agree with that, I went to school to learn how to weld for a job/learn how to weld for my Jeep. Realized I didn't want to weld for a living, but I can still weld on my Jeep. Either way you walk away with a skill. If you get a Cert, you can use that anywhere. I know that down here in SD the welders on the waterfront make 25/hr starting, moving up quickly with skills and specialty (have had a few conversations with the yardbirds while in drydock).

JK&Beyond

Out here in California at our wind sites a welder is priceless. I believe they make around $35 to $40 an hour. The company supplies everything. The certified welder just shows up and punches the clock. .

Yeah I've heard the pay is great. Never thought about the wind industry. I live in the TX panhandle so wind is easy to come by. lol. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm hoping to hold a good job and try to do the fab stuff on the side so I don't put all my eggs in one basket. Maybe I go to work for Off Road Evolution??

Hope Mel sees that. ;)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Demand is high for any quality worker right now. But with that, a lot of companies are looking for people with experience and a lot of it.

Jersey_Devil

Demand is high for any quality worker right now. But with that, a lot of companies are looking for people with experience and a lot of it.

Apparently not in NJ.... I went to get a grant to goto school a few weeks ago and the state of NJ will not give me the grant for a welding course because They DONT deem it an "In Demand" job....

Top Bottom