Clock Spring repair?

Bierpower

Hooked
I've never waited when pulling airbags. Never had an issue. I pulled the steering wheel on the 07 to add cruise and replaced the clock spring on the 15. If you pull the battery when you start it'll be dead by the time your ready to plug the airbag back in.

Let me know how it goes, been putting mine off for a good 2 years with a nice red light haha

View attachment 389821

Haha, yes I know that light well, at this point!

Swap was fairly straightforward. Air bag light is gone.

However, after ~40 miles, the CEL and ESC came back on and jeep went back into limp mode. The fact that this issue was sporadic had me hoping it was all related to the clockspring, but I guess not…

jeeeep

Hooked
Haha, yes I know that light well, at this point!

Swap was fairly straightforward. Air bag light is gone.

However, after ~40 miles, the CEL and ESC came back on and jeep went back into limp mode. The fact that this issue was sporadic had me hoping it was all related to the clockspring, but I guess not…
any codes?

any codes?

Before I replaced the clock spring, I had P0390 - camshaft position bank 2

Since I replaced the clockspring, the airbag light has not returned. Only intermittent CEL, ESC, and limp mode. Haven’t re-checked codes since changing the clock spring.

Just now replaced the bank 2 camshaft position sensor, because I happened to have a brand new one and it only takes 30 minutes so fuck it…🤞

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Big bump, I know, but this is the only decent clockspring page I could find. I’m about to replace mine.

Am I good to just disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and not have the airbag go off? Anybody do this on a jk and can chime in?
Only takes about 2 mins for modules to fully power down once the negative cable is pulled off so 15 mins will give you plenty of time.

edit- see you already replaced it by the time I replied 🥴

Before I replaced the clock spring, I had P0390 - camshaft position bank 2

Since I replaced the clockspring, the airbag light has not returned. Only intermittent CEL, ESC, and limp mode. Haven’t re-checked codes since changing the clock spring.

Just now replaced the bank 2 camshaft position sensor, because I happened to have a brand new one and it only takes 30 minutes so fuck it…🤞

This worked.
Recap for the sake of the thread:

-Had airbag light intermittent for 2 months.
-Then, CEL and ESC and limp mode intermittent
-changed clockspring and airbag light went off, but CEL and ESC came back on
-changed camshaft position sensor on drivers side (bank 2) and lights went off. Jeep back to normal.

desertrunner

I had some issue in my 12 where the cruise control stopped working and the initial symptom was my horn would go on constant like i was holding it down. i had to pull the fuses to stop looking like the idiot in the parking lot blaring the horn. to my surprise the dealership said its a cruise control switch problem not a clock spring and they replaced it and my problem is gone. Not saying in your case the clock spring isnt the issue but also might wanna ask about a cruise control switch as well before tearing it all apart. Dealership did mine so sorry cant help ya on how much of a PITA it was

Edit: i see you found your issue but ill leave in info in case it can help someone else

duktrx

I had some issue in my 12 where the cruise control stopped working and the initial symptom was my horn would go on constant like i was holding it down. i had to pull the fuses to stop looking like the idiot in the parking lot blaring the horn. to my surprise the dealership said its a cruise control switch problem not a clock spring and they replaced it and my problem is gone. Not saying in your case the clock spring isnt the issue but also might wanna ask about a cruise control switch as well before tearing it all apart. Dealership did mine so sorry cant help ya on how much of a PITA it was

Edit: i see you found your issue but ill leave in info in case it can help someone else
Not the first time I have heard about the Cruise control or turn signal switch causing Christmas tree dash syndrome.

Top Bottom