BFG KM3 37x12.50r17 Balancing Issues

treys1

I'm coming off of several sets of Trail Grapplers and a few MTR/K over the years and figured I would try KM3s this time around. I have now had them on 2 sets of wheels and while the KMCs are better than the steelies they started on, they still have a pretty nasty hop to them

Anybody else familiar with this issue? Will BFG do anything if I contact them or am I just SOL?

bmkrinne

How much balance weight have you added to the wheels thus far?

I’ve had a few sets of BFGs but not had a warranty claim though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

treys1

How much balance weight have you added to the wheels thus far?

I’ve had a few sets of BFGs but not had a warranty claim though.

The worst one took about 20oz but even with all that weight they feel pretty bumpy anything over 65mph. 70 is doable but 75 feels like you just don't want to do that for long... It's not a "shimmy" but more of a hop.

I currently have about 5500 miles on my 39” KM3’s. First balance they took about 8-10 oz per tire and it took some trial and error playing around with the amount of air that made them ride the best. Haven’t been rebalanced but I am do for a rotate so I can report back when I do that to see it anything changes.

Bierpower

Hooked
The worst one took about 20oz but even with all that weight they feel pretty bumpy anything over 65mph. 70 is doable but 75 feels like you just don't want to do that for long... It's not a "shimmy" but more of a hop.
I would look into a claim. Is it 20oz or 20 of the 1/4oz weights. Even the worst MTRs we balanced were only 4.75-5.25oz. At Bridgestone we gave a guy two new tires because the ones he bought had a manufacturing defect and wouldn't balance. Worst they can say is no but I can't imagine any major tire manufacturer not taking care of it unless you mounted and balanced them yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

treys1

I currently have about 5500 miles on my 39” KM3’s. First balance they took about 8-10 oz per tire and it took some trial and error playing around with the amount of air that made them ride the best. Haven’t been rebalanced but I am do for a rotate so I can report back when I do that to see it anything changes.

Thanks!

I would look into a claim. Is it 20oz or 20 of the 1/4oz weights. Even the worst MTRs we balanced were only 4.75-5.25oz. At Bridgestone we gave a guy two new tires because the ones he bought had a manufacturing defect and wouldn't balance. Worst they can say is no but I can't imagine any major tire manufacturer not taking care of it unless you mounted and balanced them yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

3 of the 5 are up in the 15-20oz (not 20pc of 1/4oz) range and they were mounted and balanced twice by a shop on steelies which wanted nearly 2lbs on one, then they have since been mounted on KMC Hex and balanced at a shop getting the numbers I listed above.

bmkrinne

Man, that’s a shit ton of weight! I would start the warranty claim. Hope they take care of you.

Ruvicon

How are you liking the tires so far? I may get some soon as mine are worn out. What air pressure are you running and is your TPMS lights on?

Vic

jkbarnett

Getting ready to get some 37” KM3’s
Finally moving up from 35’s
Hope they don’t take a lot of weight

How are you liking the tires so far? I may get some soon as mine are worn out. What air pressure are you running and is your TPMS lights on?

Vic

Hey Vic. So far I love them. I’m almost at 10k on them already and they’re due for a rotation but they are still smooth as glass and quiet. Handled everything sand hollow had to throw at and then some here a month ago or so. I’m running 28 psi for my 39’s and I just adjusted my TPMS system for it. No issues. Love em.

Ruvicon

Hey Vic. So far I love them. I’m almost at 10k on them already and they’re due for a rotation but they are still smooth as glass and quiet. Handled everything sand hollow had to throw at and then some here a month ago or so. I’m running 28 psi for my 39’s and I just adjusted my TPMS system for it. No issues. Love em.

Can my 2008 JKUR adjust the TPMS warning too?

Vic

14ACES

I am also running 39” KM3 and love them. They are mounted on KMC RG Beadlocks. I had the balanced. Honestly didn’t look to see how much weight but they are smooth as can be on the street. Ride is perfect at 26psi for street and 12psi for off road. They work incredibly well off road. The worked incredible at Sand Hollow over new years and looking forward to next week at Moab.

I am also running 39” KM3 and love them. They are mounted on KMC RG Beadlocks. I had the balanced. Honestly didn’t look to see how much weight but they are smooth as can be on the street. Ride is perfect at 26psi for street and 12psi for off road. They work incredibly well off road. The worked incredible at Sand Hollow over new years and looking forward to next week at Moab.

Yup same. Love em in Sand Hollow and 39” is such a perfect size for a JKU

fiend

Caught the Bug
Haha. Not to take away anything from the KM3s, but If sand hollow is anything like Moab, even bald street radials would work great. [emoji23]

Haha. Not to take away anything from the KM3s, but If sand hollow is anything like Moab, even bald street radials would work great. [emoji23]

Haha true. An ice cube can find traction in Moab. Sand Hollow was super wet when were there last time. It had just rained so everything was covered in wet super fine sand. Was impressed on how they handled it. They perform great in Moab and on the Rubicon last year as well. For me, at least where I’ve been the happiest is on the highway. Smooth, quiet and comfy.

treys1

Glad to know other people have had success with this on the road. Mine work great offroad at 6psi on my KMC Hex's but still ride like eggs on road everything from 24-30psi (I haven't tried outside of that range honestly), so I just tool around at 65mph everywhere (they feel ok up to about that). Luckily I have not had any long trips where it really would make a huge time impact not to be able to run 75-80mph.

At this point with still less that 2000 miles on them, I may yank them and go with something else.

Top Bottom