Bad experience with Bilstein

kevinp

Hello all,
I wanted to share an experience I recently had with Bilstein regarding the 5160s I installed. First, let me say the shocks are great. Nice ride on the road, great flex on the trail and smooth ride, even at speed, on those main trails we have to take between the fun ones. I’m pleased with the MATERIAL or parts, I purchased. However:
I went wheeling on 18 Feb with them for the first time. It was one of those days where things became about as hardcore as they do any other time we wheel. Nothing serious enough to cause stuff to break, but at least with a handful of pucker-factor spots. And spots that make me really want lockers, but that’s another story. Anyway, about 6 hours on the trail and we make it back to the staging area and I notice two things. 1. The shock reservoirs were not in the place I mounted them. For some reason, they had rotated. This puzzled me since the $.50 hose clamps that were included with the shocks were just about as tight as I could get them without stripping them. I run plenty of back-spacing, so I didn’t imagine it was the tire either. I still don’t know why they rotated within the clamps. 2. I noticed a descent amount of oil film around the bung on the driver’s side reservoir. It was dusty, but still enough to wet my finger fairly much when I wiped across it. This latter observation, I brought to Bilstein via their Facebook page. I was asked to message the details, so I did, and I shortly received a reply with contact information for Lisa Ciacci, who, according to the message, is the Warranty Administrator. I contacted her and she asked me to send pictures and the invoice from purchase. I complied and within the hour, received this:
“Hi Kevin,
The shocks were installed incorrectly which contributed to the failure. Also, your upper bushing has been over tightened. I have included a copy of the installation instructions for your review. This would not be considered a manufacturers defect and therefore not covered by the warranty, sorry. Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you.
Best Regards,
Lisa Ciacci
Warranty Administrator
Research & Development
ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America
14102 Stowe Drive
Poway, CA 92064
Phone: +1 858 386-5951
Phone: +1 800 370-9522
Fax: +1 858 386-5945
E-Mail: Lisa.Ciacci@thyssenkrupp.com
Not, Hey Kevin, let me help you figure this out or, do you have pictures of the original install or even asking if I had any unusual circumstances on the trail. Just a simple, quick, “Dude you’re screwed, have a nice day.” I was appalled. With the current state of affairs in our country economically, I figure the get-this-guy-out-of-here-we-aren’t-giving-him-anything mentality would be the reaction, but with such a summary assessment using PICTURES only? To say I am displeased with the customer service I received is an understatement. For a representative of a company as big as Bilstein to simply brush aside a customer surprised me. I had such high hopes for them. I guess they are like everyone else.
Now let me break this down. Here is a picture taken the day after I installed them (I’m only including the front, since that’s where the problem is):

184779_4829841076440_2018117709_n.jpg

Here is what the shock looked like after wheeling:

563098_10200126546998955_433771184_n.jpg

Now, again, I don’t see how one can assess so quickly and thoroughly via these pictures that it’s all on me. Maybe I’m wrong, but at least let me down easy.
Maybe I should have gone with Fox Racing 2.0s instead.

Jeep_Dawg08

Ok.. I'm new to all this, and in no way saying you did anything incorrect. I actually have some questions and observations.

Am I to assume there is pressure in the line between the cylinders?
Also, with to cylinders that are smooth metal, you would think with vibration and all the stress put on shocks there would be some turning, not to mention IF there is any pressure in that line. Made me think of a hose when u turn it on.. it wants to straighten itself out from the pressure. Yes!?
I hope because of my inexperience this doesn't seem idiotic, but I am learning. What better way than to make a fool of yourself. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
For this very reason AEV now sends out a bracket where you can mount the remote reservoir on top of the spring perch. Last February when I installed mine I had the same problem. Working with AEV we tried several solutions and finely came up with a bracket that resolved the issue. They are great shocks and the only thing I can tell you is to relocate the reservoir and fix the over tightening issue and you should be fine.

kevinp

My question is,

Compared to "their" installation instructions, what was different in your install?

Also, the reservoir should be mounted on the right side (facing the rear of the Jeep) of the shock and not the left as your pictures reflect.

This should take care of both of these comments: I do not see what you are talking about regarding me having the reservoir on the wrong side.

Shock comparison.jpg

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
I don't have the instructions that came with mine anymore but it did have them opposite of what yours shows. You might check with Bilstein about that. I think you can also download instructions that come from AEV from their website.

SoCalDozer

This should take care of both of these comments: I do not see what you are talking about regarding me having the reservoir on the wrong side.

View attachment 16510

hose clamp is definitely on the wrong side... :doh:

lol just kidding man, but what I would do is mount them like bdmckenna has them mounted.
if you do have something that is wrong with the shocks after that I would just call bilstein and talk to them, a phone call with some complaints can sure get a lot done for you usually. specially when someone is a member of a few jeep forums and can post some reviews.

htweelz

Ok, I'll bite. How does having the top nut a little too tight and it squishing down the rubber bushings hurt the shock?

If it were too tight it wouldn't allow the shock to move around in the bushing and cause it to bind. However looking at his install vs the instructions it appears theirs is tighter than what he did. His before picture shows it mounted just like in the instructions that they sent. I guess they are saying that in the rotated state it is installed wrong which is true but the shock did that on its own.

kevinp

I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is Mr. Wes Welch convinced me I needed to send the thing in (something about drilling holes and recharging with nitrogen takes the repair beyond my experience), so it'll be on its way as soon as the mailman gets here to pick up the box. What's good about all that is he said, as long as there was no major damage, they would repair the shock at the least cost possible, up to no charge at all. The bad news is my Jeep will be stuck in the garage until I get it back.

And for what it's worth, I apologized to Lisa Ciacci via email. I may be ignored, but, in the grand scheme of things, I was probably too harsh with her.

Thanks to everyone for the input! I want to mount them remotely (on top of the coil) when the shock gets back, but I may take a page out of Fox's book and mount them with the resi positioned toward the rear of the vehicle. Hopefully Bilstein will reconsider how they instruct to mount them. We'll see.

Kevin.

kevinp

Resurrecting this a bit, but I felt the thread needed to be "closed out" with an update:

I sent the shock to Bilstein on Friday. As of today (Tuesday), it is back in route to me, repaired, with no cost but shipping. I apologized to Lisa Ciacci for being WAY too quick on the trigger and Wes Welch took care of the technical aspect of it. I still don't have a warm fuzzy about HOW I mounted it incorrectly, but am going with a modified set-up anyway.

Thank you to everyone for the input!

Kevin

bl17z90

I've gotta say, you'r picture shows in no way your shock mounted wrong and having bilstines on my Jeep makes me a little worried about what I would do if something ever went wrong. I guess the best thing to do is just go with King's and call it a day. :thumb:

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I run Bilsteins and havent had a problem. I would at least give them credit for acknowledging there was an issue and fixing it. Granted he had to pay shipping, but I feel they are still in good standing. It can happen to anyone and any company..

Paratroopers stay up longer!

Top Bottom