Another Noob question. Help me decide

FL_Woody

So ealier I ask what year I should buy and decided on 2012 and newer. Now to the next question. I'm looking between a sport or Sahara and Rubicon.

My decision mainly comes down to drive train and axle reliability.
The 2 or 3 I am looking at
2014 sport lifted (unkown lift) 35" tires, vented hood,winch etc, gotta admit it looks good 26k
2013 rubicon stock 26k
I understand the rubicon has the dana 44 front, but what I have been told is it is dana 44 pumpkin with regular axles and tubes. Correct me if I am wrong.
I have no issue putting on a lift or adding chromoly axles
I also have no issue regearing and somehow I doubt the lifted one has been regeared. Is there a way to tell?
So I guess my question really is the rubicon worth the extra cost?

Dale72

Hooked
It all depends on what you are planning on doing with it. The s will have a D30 front axle unless it's already been upgraded. I would get the Rubicon

Upvote 0

bmkrinne

Depends on what you ultimately want to do with it. If trail riding, I’d go with the rubi and build it how you want it. The 4:1 t-case, sway bar disco, and lockers are worth the higher price. But if mall crawling is the end game, the rubi is a waste of money IMO.

Upvote 0

JT@623

Hooked
There are better deals out there if your patient . If it were me I would find a stock rubicon and then build it to my needs .

Upvote 0

FL_Woody

Honestly I’ve been looking for a few months have seen good deals on sports and such but not rubicon’s. I live in Fl so the market is pretty good.

Upvote 0

jeeeep

Hooked
Rubicon, my 2010 JKU Rubicon has 180k miles, bought it with 6 miles on the odometer lots of trail miles, running 35's on stock axles 1st few years.
got in a wreck and upgraded to PR44 front axle, still stock in the rear running 37's the last 9 years.
it all depends on what you do when off road, pick shitty lines with heavy foot = destruction. lots of mud and water tends to shorten axle life as well as motor life.

Be weary of "custom" used often, it's just a tactic to drive the price up and make it seem worth more than it really is.
IMO that list of parts are just for looks and if you really want to wheel it, be prepared to start replacing them.

Upvote 0

Bear_JT

Hooked
You’re better off with the stock rubicon and building it the way you want it. That sport sounds like someone built it on the cheaper end being that all those “custom” parts are really nothing to write home about. The stock Rubicon is essentially a blank canvas.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom