Adding OEM Aux switches? Good / Bad?

Jmos

My 2D Wrangler Rubicon came w/o Aux switches.

I'm adding 1) on-board air, 2) winch, 3) mild lights x2 -- so four buttons should cover it.

I can get an Ss6 6-way switch panel, or have OEM Aux switches installed.

Wondering if anyone has done this - I have a few questions:
- Which OEM Aux kit is best?
- Does "adding" these work out well? -- or is it buggy?
- Am I better off with using the switch panel, or the OEM switches?

I'm thinking that the OEM switches might be cleaner, simpler, and better.
TY

J.

WJCO

Meme King

I'm adding 1) on-board air, 2) winch, 3) mild lights x2 -- so four buttons should cover it.

TY

J.
IIRC, adding the OEM switches is like 300-400 bucks plus some extensive labor.

Upvote 0

JimLee

Hooked

TY

J.
I've read of a few people having issues installing the factory aux switches or even having a dealer install them. They are not a plug and play installation and the problem seems to lie with flashing the vehicle to make them work, one guy had them installed at one dealer who couldn't get them to work correctly and ended up having to go through several other dealers and a bunch of frustration before someone got them working. This of course is third hand info I've read on the interwebs so it could be bullshit or it could be true, do your research!

Upvote 0

onlyone

Being that mine came with them they’re fine but if I didn’t have them, I would probably go with aftermarket. You have more options and more switches and less headaches for the install and dealing with the stealership. On another note, I think if you have the Tazer you can program the factory switches yourself without a trip to the dealer.

Upvote 0

kevman65

Hooked
I have OEM Aux Switches in my JT.

If I didn't have them, for the price point and more options available and the ease of install, I would DEFINITELY go aftermarket.

You can get 6, 8, 12 button options and I believe the cost is about the same. The ease of install for aftermarket over OEM looks to be HUGE by the videos I've seen. Plus you don't have to worry about some wanna be hacker at the dealer flashing your Jeep and giving it MonkeyVIdPox.

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked
I've added the Mopar switches into mine, fairly involved job but not too terrible.

I had to buy a new rivet gun to rivit the fender back together, and you need either a Taser programer or to pay the dealer to reflash the ECM to activate them in the Uconnect system.

Mine have worked flawlessly.

Upvote 0

Andy5160

Hooked
Little late to this thread but Andy had the factory switches installed. Maybe he will chime in with what he had to do
The install was easy enough if only I did not mess up one pin connection and could not figure it out.
The instructions are easy to follow. It would be nice to have the tool for plastic rivets but I managed without one.
At the end of the day I am really happy to have it installed. It just works, no issues.

Upvote 0

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I installed them for a friend and while the install was extensive and tedious, I did it in about 4 hours. Theres a step where you de-pin a connector and add a wire or two. After all was said and done we turned it on with a Flashcal. Hooked up a KC light bar to one of the switches to start.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom