AC Actuator/ Module problem (THE DREADED BLINKING DEFROST LIGHT)

Connor H

Hello JK Forum!!
I have an issue with my 2013 Jeep Wrangler AC Blend doors that I cannot seem to fix. I live in Texas and get to ENJOY 115 degree heat during the summer. any inconvenience with an AC is absolutely devastating.

My problem first started with the AC blend door, which had a loud and obnoxious ticking noise every time my key was put in the ignition. Turns out this was an easy fix due to this Thread here > AC blend door replacement. I simply replaced the broken actuator with this unit here (sourced from Oreily auto parts) and boom I had a functioning AC/ Heater again.
screen_shot_2021_10_27_at_4_29_10_pm_7764f56eaf479c56c3600a96f1ce02c78a47ade5.png

Later I had the actuator on the recirculation door break as well. Again a loud ticking noise suggested it was time to be replaced. Here is where the problems began.
For starters I had to remove the broken actuator, which is located in the most inconvenient spot EVER! For example its hidden behind the passenger speaker (reference below)
606ea779_8cff_4633_8b52_0c3a41a19f85_55b60e1457c2bb4e4ab47bfe53cba4ad291e16fd.jpg

I replaced this unit first with the same Dorman actuator from Oreily's. Unfortunately not only was this difficult to replace but it caused my AC module to have to calibrate every time I started the jeep. I contacted my dealership and they let me know that Jeeps may or may not communicate with the doorman actuators. I figured they just wanted me to buy the $140 Mopar actuator. I tested their theory and purchased another brand actuator, which I have heard is the exact same as a Mopar actuators but just rebranded (pictured below).
screen_shot_2021_10_27_at_4_33_02_pm_f62695a72775529b7e164e417e2eb09f707695f8.png

Upon replacing the Dorman actuator to the new Crown Automotive actuator I had the exact same problem. I followed a tip from somewhere in this forum where I disconnect the battery to reset the programing of the AC module. Unfortunately the AC module continues to blink at startup. I contacted the dealership again. They let me know the AC module may have gone bad. (AC Module pictured below for reference)
screen_shot_2021_10_27_at_4_32_28_pm_c1308374651fbc05e143bd878784d276454f39c9.png

After adding a new AC module and resetting it, it continues to blink. At my wits end I took the jeep in to a new dealership as the previous had lost credibility. The new dealership ran a diagnostic and found that both the actuators that I replaced where over extending. This stuck me as odd as the first actuator on the blend door worked perfectly fine once it was replaced.
scannable_document_on_oct_27_2021_at_16_24_39_ca69f34799a822539fce3111584bb8fba1541b56.jpg

The dealership suggested i replace both actuators which totaled to about $1,200 after parts and labor.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? I am willing to buy the new Mopar actuators however I am worried that after installation I will have the same issue. Is there a specific way to program these actuators or the module? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Spazbyt

Hooked
Must be heater season around here today. I have the same problem. From what I have gathered the clicking noise is the motor jumping teeth on the gears trying to open the door until it goes home but because the door cant go home now the dash knows there's a problem and gives you the blinking light. The thing that concerns me is the motor will attempt to continue to open the door after gears fail. Are the gears failing because the motor isn't being told to stop by a switch or resistance on the motor? That would explain why your new unit broke.

Top Bottom