2021 SEMA Smart Winch Rescue Winch

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To help find things that I want to check out at SEMA, I always head out to the new product display showcase. And, while I was there, I came across something called a Rescue Winch made by a company called, Smart Winch. Now, I have to say that I was intrigued by the fact that it was essentially a sophisticated pully system and without a motor. Looking on one end, I could see that it even had a 3/4" drive on it but couldn't figure out how it worked. So, I went down to the special Overland Experience at the back of the West Hall to talk to these guys. And, what I found was interesting - essentially, their winch worked by processing rope. This as opposed to wrapping it around a drum and so, your 10,000 lbs of pulling capacity is always constant. You don't loose pulling power the way a normal winch would as the rope builds up. However, and it's a BIG however, their winch is manually operated only and with a BIG ass breaker bar. There is no gear reduction in their unit so you cannot use something like an impact wrench to drive it.

After talking to them for a while, they asked me if I was an overlander and I said, well, I do go camping in my Jeep but my rigs don't look like what most of the ones on display look like. After a chuckle, they said commented on how I was probably more of a rock crawler and that they get how our rule is to "never wheel alone". They then said that I needed to understand that the rule for "overlanders" is to "always wheel alone" and that something like their winch is a perfect tool for self recovery. You know, why use a regular powered winch when you can get a workout using this thing.

20211103121441-b769a1bc-me.jpg

20211103121443-3eb1ab05-me.jpg

Without googling it, any guesses as to what this thing costs? :)

WJCO

Meme King
To help find things that I want to check out at SEMA, I always head out to the new product display showcase. And, while I was there, I came across something called a Rescue Winch made by a company called, Smart Winch. Now, I have to say that I was intrigued by the fact that it was essentially a sophisticated pully system and without a motor. Looking on one end, I could see that it even had a 3/4" drive on it but couldn't figure out how it worked. So, I went down to the special Overland Experience at the back of the West Hall to talk to these guys. And, what I found was interesting - essentially, their winch worked by processing rope. This as opposed to wrapping it around a drum and so, your 10,000 lbs of pulling capacity is always constant. You don't loose pulling power the way a normal winch would as the rope builds up. However, and it's a BIG however, their winch is manually operated only and with a BIG ass breaker bar. There is no gear reduction in their unit so you cannot use something like an impact wrench to drive it.

After talking to them for a while, they asked me if I was an overlander and I said, well, I do go camping in my Jeep but my rigs don't look like what most of the ones on display look like. After a chuckle, they said commented on how I was probably more of a rock crawler and that they get how our rule is to "never wheel alone". They then said that I needed to understand that the rule for "overlanders" is to "always wheel alone" and that something like their winch is a perfect tool for self recovery. You know, why use a regular powered winch when you can get a workout using this thing.

20211103121441-b769a1bc-me.jpg

20211103121443-3eb1ab05-me.jpg

Without googling it, any guesses as to what this thing costs? :)
Weird. I don't see why you wouldn't just buy a winch.

I'm guessing 600 bucks.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Interesting, I guess. The only use I’d see for that is a bad angle pull thru trees or rocks where you could use a pulley to redirect a winch line from another Jeep.

Guess $750. Everything is more expensive than I think these days

Brute

Hooked
They couldn't make it cheap enough for me to buy it...work smarter, not harder...

However, in the case of complete electrical failure and your rig was about to go over Victoria Falls while overlanding in Africa...

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Always wheel alone? I’ve never heard that before. Sounds downright dangerous to me. I’m guessing $1500 based on their target audience, gimmick factor, and material shortages.

CalSgt

Hooked
I am kinda intrigued by those type of snatch pulleys on the table... They seem like they would possibly be lighter and more compact than the classic design. I noticed a few companies selling them over the last few years.

:ROFLMAO: I'm glad you all are finding this to be as amusing too. These guys are wanting $799 for it.
That Aint smoking the reefer...... that aint on crack...... thats huffing paint stupid.
It would make sense as a keep in a small bag in the back somewhere for emergency use only, (especially only have to go a few feet to get unstuck.... but wow. Two bearings and a shaft with some rope for 800.... I dont think theyr'e gonna sell many. Like these dudes never heard of a come along.

Top Bottom