"You’re on fire! Get out of that Jeep!”

It was October 2023 on the Trail Dust Days run to Redfield Canyon with the Tucson Rough Riders. My buddy Rich Weirick jumped over flames to clear the passenger side. We didn’t know it then but the JK’s plastic gas line had worn through and sprayed on the exhaust igniting a fire that burned under the starboard side directly under the battery tray. We later determined the mounts that hold the gas line in place had fallen off the frame at some point. Luckily, we were with 15 other members of the Rough Riders and a host of them were standing at the front of the burning Jeep with fire extinguishers before I could even get out there. If I had not been on a club run, I would have lost her. Grabbing the gloves on the console as I dove out, I used them to get the hood open, the latches were too hot for bare hands. The paint was bubbling. Immediately multiple extinguishers went off to put out the fire. The guys and gals from the club really came through for us. Turning off the key before bailing so the gas pump pressure was off limited the source of the flames but the melted electrical insulation quickly ignited a second fire so we had to disconnect the battery after putting out the burning harnesses. Most importantly, no one was hurt but Ruby was a mess.

A wonderful supporting cast towed us 12 miles back to pavement where we could finally get cell coverage to call AAA and get her towed back to civilization to begin the long journey back to capability. We got her to my friends at Canyon View Automotive, I got a text from Billy the manager that evening; “Ruby is in ICU but she’s gonna make it”. The fire damage was covered by insurance so a two-week hassle ensued with multiple negotiations among adjusters and claim agents and their bosses to come to an agreement on value. My dilemma was a common one for Jeep owners. Insurance was hesitant to try and repair Ruby because it was clear she would need all new electrical harnesses and a host of unknown parts and labor. Insurance companies hate unknowns so they wanted to total her. Most of us have more invested in our rigs with aftermarket parts than they are worth on a blue book type estimate. In my case it made sense to effectively buy her back from the insurance company and take on the repair myself. To do this you need to first get a salvage title from the Arizona MVD and the insurance company will cut you a check for your loss. Because I had an ongoing long-term relationship with the crew at Canyon View Automotive in Vail, I had the confidence that the guys could rebuild her. So, with the insurance money in hand, we mapped out a plan to get her back on the trails.

She started life as a 2011 JKU Sport, and had 140,000 hard earned miles on her odometer, so a new engine made sense. They had to pull it anyway to clear all the fire damage. We settled on a rebuilt powerplant from Jasper, and decided to rebuild the transmission. I’ve always wanted a lower crawl ratio. A Rubicon 4 to 1 transfer case has been on the wish list, so it was added to the rebuild plan. The hood was damaged from the fire and would need to be repainted so a new vented hood went on the list. I knew we weren’t going back with a plastic fuel line so the shop worked up a new stainless-steel design with AN fittings. Firmly believing the rule that you should build back better than you broke, I started thinking about opportunities to give her some performance improvements. While we’re in there let’s raise her up an inch so we can do that obstacle on Middle Monkey. Oh, some bump stops would be a great improvement, and on it goes. A big check from the Insurance comapny for Jeep parts is a very dangerous thing. It rapidly got smaller as we found out how many parts were toast. Even the dip stick was melted.

Canyon View pulled out the burnt and blistered mess, double cleaned the engine bay, shipped the transmission off for a complete rebuild and started looking for the long list of replacement parts she needed. Some were easy like the battery, and air filter box. Many others were tougher to source. Even though she is a 2011, they don’t make some of her parts anymore. The injector harness was especially difficult to find so we went with salvaged parts. When the new engine showed up in Dec. it took them a week of hard work to get her running again. She fired on her first attempt. Once back together there were a few obstacles on the trail to overcome. The first used transfer case I found didn’t fit, wrong year, the second one purchased online failed after 300 miles but was covered by warranty, so back to the shop. The new transfer case required a shorter front drive shaft that wasn’t in the budget, the new hood in the box has a big dent that magically appeared, etc. She came back to life and was moved out of ICU on Jan 23rd, three months after the fire. Ruby got to go home Jan 26 and we eased into a short recuperation period. The big day came on February 14 when Ruby celebrated Valentine’s Day by passing her Arizona State Vehicle inspection to reinstitute her registration and get her title restored. We did many short drives to get back in the groove. A couple check engine lights with return trips to the shop, added to the excitement and are to be expected. Rebuilding a Jeep is not for the faint of heart.

Finally, after 5 months, the day came when 500 miles had ticked over, the newly repaired and painted hood was installed and Ruby was ready for her initiation back into the world of rocks and trails. It will take a while for us to learn to trust one another again but we’ll take it easy and we will work it out. I learned a lot through this experience. Driving a Jeep is a very personal experience and I found I missed her terribly. Riding in a Jeep is an acquired taste for many, like John Prine lyrics or Garth Hudson musicality. The first timer might miss the genius, but when it’s suddenly gone it’s downright painful. I had no idea how much I counted on the joy of riding around on a dirt trail with the doors off, waving at my friends. We just got back from 10 days in Moab and she did great. I love the new transfer case! We did Rusty Nail, the Trifecta, Cliff Hanger and all the normal runs. Five months after the fire she drove up to Moab and back from Tucson without a hiccup. We are back in business.

Some lessons learned along the way;
- Double check your safety equipment, especially your fire extinguishers. Highly recommend you have more than one location.
- Please check your gas line for me, make sure the brackets are mounted securely, and the line is not worn.
- Think twice about hood locks, it may be smart to remove or unlock them on the trail.
- You can and should negotiate with the insurance company as to value for any claim. You should ask to see the form used to determine vehicle value and go over it line by line. In my case, for example, they wanted to deduct $200 because the carpets were dirty. When I explained it was a Jeep, that was on dirt, and could be vacuumed they removed it. The total change after the review of this form was about $2000 in my favor.
- Every situation is different, in this case it made sense to keep Ruby and repair her. My expensive to replace Dynatrac axles were a big factor. When my friend totaled his stock JK the day before our fire it made much more sense for him to get a new one and swap over some parts. Your milage may vary.
- It’s well worth the investment to develop a solid relationship with a local shop and vendors you can trust. Canyon View Automotive in Vail, AZ does all the work on Ruby that I can't. Dylan, Billy and Andy the owner provide exceptional support. Trail Boss Offroad helped with some parts and the new hood and Big Sky Collision did an awesome job painting it. The decals are from Stickin2it Custom decals on Facebook, a veteran owned, family oriented small business that will work with you for a custom quality job..

Attachments

• Ruby-0402.jpg
    Ruby-0402.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Ruby-3610.jpg
    Ruby-3610.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Ruby-3604.jpg
    Ruby-3604.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Ruby-3630.jpg
    Ruby-3630.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Hood-4378.jpg
    Hood-4378.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 18
  • TRR2-1890.jpg
    TRR2-1890.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 20

Ddays

Hooked
I'm sure somewhere in there you mention the need for at least one first rate extinguisher. And somewhere handy to the driver seat, not on the roll bar in the cargo area that is inaccessible in an emergency.

Something else to consider - they make strut kits for the hood that automatically raise it. True, you have to unlatch it but once you do it raises on it's own. I have a kit on on my JK. Easy to unhook if you want to lay all the way back on the windshield

I'm sure somewhere in there you mention the need for at least one first rate extinguisher. And somewhere handy to the driver seat, not on the roll bar in the cargo area that is inaccessible in an emergency.

Something else to consider - they make strut kits for the hood that automatically raise it. True, you have to unlatch it but once you do it raises on it's own. I have a kit on on my JK. Easy to unhook if you want to lay all the way back on the windshield
I do recommend two in different locations, the fire was boiling up under the front seat so made the one there impossible to get to. Luckily my guys were with me.
I’ll check out the struts idea, Hadn’t considered that, thanks.

Top Bottom