HOME SECURITY CAM - What do You Use?

TrailHunter

Hooked
I have Ring… The $100 a year doesn't bother me.. I actually like the cloud service and being able to access from anywhere.. the app is easy, the cameras are good quality with a variety of styles.. its easy to set up and customize how you interact with it. But.. The live view only stays on 2, 5, or 10 minutes at a time.. you constantly have to refresh it.. I like to sit at my desk and monitor the cameras while I’m working… but it drives me F’n crazy that it wont stay on… so for that, I cant recommend it.

Trail Bud

Hooked
I use ARLO, all wireless and stores on your hard drive. Cameras are motion activated and record for 1 min ( which I set). They offer services but I don’t use them. Bad thing each camera needs 4 batteries. Gets old after a while.

DMF

You have 3 camera systems? Pros and cons of each?
Arlo - The pro is the web interface is super easy to use. They have a home base where all the videos are stored in one location like a DVR. The camera angle is super wide and you can zoom in anywhere on the picture. The home base uses a USB flash drive and all the recordings get recorded onto it so I don't have to get footage from each camera.
Con, the activity zone isn't all that great. From what I've read, a subscription is needed for the activity zone to work best. If the home base where all the cameras are connected to freezes up or loses network connectivity. All the cameras will be offline. This has happened to me a couple of times and I had to reboot the system.

The other two cameras were given to me so I use them in the living room to monitor my dog when we're away and in the garage. The picture quality is decent for what I need it for. I have to go into each camera to get the recordings and each camera requires an SD card.

It seems to me the Eufy and Wyze cameras that I have are rebranded because the setup was almost identical. I believe these cameras were on the lower end of their line.

DMF

I use ARLO, all wireless and stores on your hard drive. Cameras are motion activated and record for 1 min ( which I set). They offer services but I don’t use them. Bad thing each camera needs 4 batteries. Gets old after a while.
I use this solar charging panels for my Arlo's and they have been working great. It's been 2 years since I have plug in my cameras into an outlet.

Attachments

• 2024-05-04_21-43-14.png
    2024-05-04_21-43-14.png
    390.5 KB · Views: 12

JAGS

Hooked
I have eufy at the house and very happy with it. Good alerts and customization. Internal battery last decent amount of time before recharging (will vary based on settings). Bought a few new solar cams to replace a couple battery ones. Not all my cams get direct sun. They also sell separate solar panels. Also just bought a system for my daughter’s condo in Santa Cruz.

the main hub can also be set as an actual audible alarm and you set it off remotely.

Trail Bud

Hooked
I use this solar charging panels for my Arlo's and they have been working great. It's been 2 years since I have plug in my cameras into an outlet.
I forgot to ask, what rechargeable batteries do you use? Currently, I’m using single use batteries. My cameras are older and may not work.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
How much is the LTE service?
it’s 10 a month with Verizon , the battery even held during all the snow. It still has a decent charge right now. Feel free to check it out. 😂😉

You can buy it direct from Verizon, pretty easy to get it going.

edit:checked the bill, it is $10 per month, downside it would be per camera

Last edited:
it’s 10 a month with Verizon , the battery even held during all the snow. It still has a decent charge right now. Feel free to check it out. 😂😉

Install Wi-Fi and then use a LTE gateway to get the service at the $10/month.

High-quality implementations of older Wi-Fi standards provide good coverage outdoors, and especially in rural areas.

So consider Wi-Fi capable cameras as well.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Install Wi-Fi and then use a LTE gateway to get the service at the $10/month.

High-quality implementations of older Wi-Fi standards provide good coverage outdoors, and especially in rural areas.

So consider Wi-Fi capable cameras as well.
It’s on land, with no power or utilities. 😉

JAGS

Hooked

I didn’t even realize that was a thing to have a LTE cam. Pretty cool option. 👍

Top Bottom