Aux. Battery

What Wayalife said. I'll check with my motorcycle freinds as its about the same size as some of the larger ones.

Its a group 14 and to answer my own question..yes they have Lithium replacements but NO ...not recommended to mix lead acid start battery with a lithium ion aux one.

You really do NOT want to bypass the auxiliary battery. It exists to protect the Jeep's computer during startup.
Ok I do not understand. If the computer is so bad, why us it? Doesn't every car in the world start up with only 1 battery?

I know zero about this so am trying to learn.....

Jim

Ok I do not understand. If the computer is so bad, why us it? Doesn't every car in the world start up with only 1 battery?

I know zero about this so am trying to learn.....

Jim
Never said that the computer is 'bad', just that the auxiliary battery exists to help protect it during start ups. All modern vehicles with auto start stop have an auxiliary battery and for this reason and it's not like your computer is going to spontaneously blow up or anything. It's just that over time, the surge caused by start ups will damage the computer and void your warranty. And to be clear, this isn't an opinion of mine, this comes straight from the engineers at Jeep.

Never said that the computer is 'bad', just that the auxiliary battery exists to help protect it during start ups. All modern vehicles with auto start stop have an auxiliary battery and for this reason and it's not like your computer is going to spontaneously blow up or anything. It's just that over time, the surge caused by start ups will damage the computer and void your warranty. And to be clear, this isn't an opinion of mine, this comes straight from the engineers at Jeep.
Correct on the "bad" I was meaning making bad, but OK learning, awesome, so let me ask, this is basically for the stop/start at lights thing, is it safe to say that if you disable this, the aux battery would not be needed and that is why non stop/start cars do not have it?
Appreciate your patience with these questions....
Jim

Correct on the "bad" I was meaning making bad, but OK learning, awesome, so let me ask, this is basically for the stop/start at lights thing, is it safe to say that if you disable this, the aux battery would not be needed and that is why non stop/start cars do not have it?
Appreciate your patience with these questions....
Jim
I wouldn't say that at all. Again, the auxiliary battery exists to protect the COMPUTER during start ups. The start/stop system just makes start ups happen a LOT more. Disabling stop/start would only reduce the amount of times the computer gets hit but it still gets hit without the auxiliary battery. Older vehicles without start/stop do not have the same kind of sensitive computer and many older carbureted Jeeps don't have any computer at all and that's why they only have one battery.

But hey, I know social media has been pushing the whole delete thing for a while now and I would never pretend to know more than them. I can only go off of what my personal senior engineer friends at Jeep have told me.

Last edited:
It seems that other Chrysler type vehicles also use an aux battery. I wonder why they did not decide to use a super-capacitor to solve the intermittent voltage/current issue due to running off battery, and the sag (and possibly reactive response) due to activating/deactivating the starter?

I wouldn't say that at all. Again, the auxiliary battery exists to protect the COMPUTER during start ups. The start/stop system just makes start ups happen a LOT more. Disabling stop/start would only reduce the amount of times the computer gets hit but it still gets hit without the auxiliary battery. Older vehicles without start/stop do not have the same kind of sensitive computer and many older carbureted Jeeps don't have any computer at all and that's why they only have one battery.

But hey, I know social media has been pushing the whole delete thing for a while now and I would never pretend to know more than them. I can only go off of what my personal senior engineer friends at Jeep have told me.
I am trying to learn why Jeep needs an aux battery while other mfg's does not, is all, not calling in you vs internet, just trying to learn....

Did not mean to offend.

Jim

I am trying to learn why Jeep needs an aux battery while other mfg's does not, is all, not calling in you vs internet, just trying to learn....

Did not mean to offend.

Jim
LOL - umm, 'offended'? :unsure:

To your point, outside of Chrysler, most manufactures DO use auxiliary batteries and for the same reason. That said, some do not and I've never felt a need to know why being that I don't choose to drive what they make. I can only assume they have different way of designing things. Again, I'm just sharing what I've been told by my friends at Jeep but you can take that for whatever it's worth. (y)

Last edited:
O
You really do NOT want to bypass the auxiliary battery. It exists to protect the Jeep's computer during startup.
Over a year and zero issues. Not sure how a half dead lawnmower battery hovering around 8 volts protects anything. The reports of the light shows on the dash that are akin to Vegas on meth are prevalent enough to make me take 50% of the risk out of the game.
MANY modern vehicles still come with a single battery. Did FCA skip school that day?

Over a year and zero issues. Not sure how a half dead lawnmower battery hovering around 8 volts protects anything. The reports of the light shows on the dash that are akin to Vegas on meth are prevalent enough to make me take 50% of the risk out of the game.
MANY modern vehicles still come with a single battery. Did FCA skip school that day?
LOL - I am not Stellantis and wouldn't pretend to understand anything they do or why. All I can hope to do is share what I was told and with the hopes of helping others out if I can. In this particular case, to help prevent the voiding of a warranty over something as stupid as a cheap auxiliary battery that may need to be replaced once every 3-4 years. But clearly, to each their own and you should always do what you believe to be best for your Jeep (y)

LOL - I am not Stellantis and wouldn't pretend to understand anything they do or why. All I can hope to do is share what I was told and with the hopes of helping others out if I can. In this particular case, to help prevent the voiding of a warranty over something as stupid as a cheap auxiliary battery that may need to be replaced once every 3-4 years. But clearly, to each their own and you should always do what you believe to be best for your Jeep (y)
Yeah. It's easily reversible, just like the catch can, should warranty inspections need to occur. (y)

Top Bottom