My other passion - flying helicopters

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Doing all i do in a Jeep is one if my favorite things to do, but its in close competition with flying helicopters as being my favorite. At $530 per hr plus 12-18 gallons per hour of 100LL aviation gas this is certainly the most expensive. With my current 47 hrs, Im thankful the Post 9/11 GI Bill is paying for it all, along with the gen Ed requirements for my degree.

After training for the last grueling 8 months as a full time helicopter student pilot, I've finally graduated an FAA part 141 ground school private pilot course, and gotten all the flight experience i need, both instruction and 10 hrs of solo flights. This week I'm taking a final stage 3 check with a lead instructor at my flight school, then I am finally going to go up for my FAA private rotorcraft pilot oral exam(3 hrs of verbal questioning on rules, regs, and aircraft limitations), followed by a check flight about 1 1/2-2hrs long. If all goes well I'm moving on to my instrument rating next semester, followed by my commercial rating, certified flight instructor, and certified instrument flight instructor the following 3 semesters!

Attachments

• image-1813415902.jpg
    image-1813415902.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
"but it looks so easy in the movies"

Congratulations on your accomplishments. :beer:

Learning to fly is on most peoples bucket list. Learning to fly helicopters would be extra icing on the cake. (with ice cream too)

Sweet

Congrats on the rotary wing accomplishments! Nice R44 in the photo too :thumb: I plan on making use of my post-9/11 GI bill benefits soon, I have already used up the Montgomery GI bill decades ago.

I've heard it can be a lot cheaper to get all the ratings flying fixed wing, then add-on your rotor license. I'm sure it sucks a bit coming out of that with so few hours in the helicopter, but also would seem to give you a broader resume...

ichthus said:
I've heard it can be a lot cheaper to get all the ratings flying fixed wing, then add-on your rotor license. I'm sure it sucks a bit coming out of that with so few hours in the helicopter, but also would seem to give you a broader resume...

If you are paying out of pocket it is cheaper since you'd need less hours for the transition from fixed wing to rotary wing. I think it's 25hrs for the transition. If pursuing a career as a helicopter pilot I think employers would be more interested in the rotary wing time. I'll have about 230 hrs when I graduate.

Thats awesome, congratulations brother! :drinks: Now you can make some cash and be a chase for KOH filming!!!

I have always wanted to flly helicopters since watching blackhawk down my junior year of HS. Hope to soon get my fixed wing license and then later upgrade.

Great accomplishment brother. I wish you the best. Flying a helicopter is certainly challenging and, riding on one is a blast! Never flown one but having been aboard I commend you.

Top Bottom