Wire routing from engine bay to cab on a manual transmission

slowfox

Hi Gents,

Trying to figure a decent way to route cables inside the cab of my Jeep JLUR 3.6 manual transmission. I have seen people with automatic transmission most commonly use the manual clutch grommet on the driver's side but since I am manual this is already used. Is there any other convenient spot through which I can route a front mounted antenna coax and some power into the cab?

~Cheers~

CalSgt

Hooked
There's a grommet on the passenger side that I used to install the harness for adding the mopar auxiliary switches, here's an excerpt from those instructions:

2. On the passenger side of the vehicle locate the rivets holding on the inner-fender splash guard. Remove four rivets starting closest to the passenger seat. To remove rivets, pop them out a bit and snip them off using cutters.

3. Remove the two push-pin pop-clips on the inside of the fender well using a flathead screwdriver.

4. Pull back inner fender liner and secure behind wheel.

17. Using the wires from the PDC that are not the auxiliary hot connections tucked away in previous step, fish them down past the battery and pull them through to the passenger’s side fender well. Locate the main bulkhead inside the fender well.

18. Using a well lubricated metal coathanger, push the coat hanger through the rubber grommet from the fender well. Once this is complete, attach a wire to the coat hanger and pull it back through to the fender well.

Note: I had to buy plastic rivets and rivet gun to fit them to re-attach the inner fender.

slowfox

That sounds good, I will inspect that area, I have quick release inner fenders so it should be easy. Would it make any difference since I already have the AUX switches? I suppose that grommet is big enough?

CalSgt

Hooked
That sounds good, I will inspect that area, I have quick release inner fenders so it should be easy. Would it make any difference since I already have the AUX switches? I suppose that grommet is big enough?
Its been a few years since I did that but I would suspect you can fit some extra through there

Bierpower

Hooked
You can also use this spot in the dash. It pokes out right under the wiper cowl and can be run into the engine bay.

PXL_20220421_003715199~2.jpg

You have to poke through the foam but it has about a 3/8-1/2" hole all the way through.

cinnur

I was just doing some wiring like this today on my manual transmission, and did not see the spot that Bierpower mentions for the JL. What I wound up doing is going into the cowl, opened up the windshield, and ran the wiring under the windshield and down into the the side of the dash. Hope this helps.

slowfox

I was just doing some wiring like this today on my manual transmission, and did not see the spot that Bierpower mentions for the JL. What I wound up doing is going into the cowl, opened up the windshield, and ran the wiring under the windshield and down into the the side of the dash. Hope this helps.
That's what I ended up doing, wire under the cowl side, through the windshield after I folded it down and up under the driver side grab handle to the overhead shelf. Works great!

Top Bottom