Willys 3.73’s and 35’s. Ok?

Are 3.73’s in my auto Willy’s and my 35’s ok or should I step up my gearing? I’ve asked others in person and on other forums with vastly different opinions.

Should be fine.
Thanks for the reply. Later on down the road would gears be beneficial? Like 4.10 or 4.56? I have noticed that even after using JSCAN to recalibrate my PCM, my trans almost refuses to go into 8th gear on the highway. If I use cruise, the trans wants to stay in 6th. Lol.

CalSgt

Hooked
Thanks for the reply. Later on down the road would gears be beneficial? Like 4.10 or 4.56? I have noticed that even after using JSCAN to recalibrate my PCM, my trans almost refuses to go into 8th gear on the highway. If I use cruise, the trans wants to stay in 6th. Lol.
Which engine?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are 3.73’s in my auto Willy’s and my 35’s ok or should I step up my gearing? I’ve asked others in person and on other forums with vastly different opinions.
As mentioned, you'd have to define what "okay" is for you. If you're okay with losing your overdrive gears on a hill or when driving into a strong headwind, yeah, it'll be fine. Strength wise, they'll be fine. Otherwise, 4.56 is what you'd want with 35's or at least, to bring your performance back to stock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With 35's and 3.73's, losing 8th sounds about right to me. As I stated above, 4.56 will get you back to stock.

Top Bottom