What's the skinny on RCV front axles

Jeeper99

Considering ordering front chromoly axles for my JLUR. RCVs seem like they may be what I'm looking for.

It seems that they are proud of the strength of these, enough so to warranty them for life against breakage with larger tires than I'll run. Can anyone comment on strength?

I heard one guy that sold his because he "didn't like the grease slinging". What's that about?

Your help is appreciated.

Masjkf84

Caught the Bug
I have them and have no complaints. Admittedly, I haven’t been off-road in damn near 5 years…

but I can say I really have no issues running them in my daily driver and can confirm that grease gets frocking everywhere. The knuckles get coated and need a good cleaning now and then.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Considering ordering front chromoly axles for my JLUR. RCVs seem like they may be what I'm looking for.

It seems that they are proud of the strength of these, enough so to warranty them for life against breakage with larger tires than I'll run. Can anyone comment on strength?

I heard one guy that sold his because he "didn't like the grease slinging". What's that about?

Your help is appreciated.
I have run them a few times and can tell you that they are in fact strong at the joint. But, they can still break at the shaft. Also, with hard use, they will snap and pop LOUDLY over time but RCV will tell you that this is ‘normal’ and will NOT warranty it. Are they worth the $400 premium? Eh, not in my opinion. A good set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips will get the job done just as well and for a LOT less.

bmkrinne

I’ve had mine for about 2.5 years and have put them through the paces offroad around the country. I have no complaints about functionality, but hate the grease slinging everywhere. Maybe it’s my fault because I do grease them religiously. I think where they excel is at full turn in 4wheel drive. They don’t have the limitations that u-joints have and are very smooth at full lock.

Jeeper99

wayoflife said:
Oh, and the bread thing is real. Not a big deal but it does get messy.
1662168263663.jpeg

That's what Mickelson said.

CalSgt

Hooked
I went with the CroMo spicers on my ‘18 jlur only after finally snapping a stocker. The spicers were the best cost option and the only thing in stock at the time for only about $750. It should be noted the stock shafts survived 2.5 rubicon trips, a week in Moab, 1 trip to Fordyce, and about 30 K miles on 37” tires before breaking. Also when the stock shaft broke I was being an idiot, if I would have asked for help I wouldn’t have broken. Probably would have wrecked or twisted RCV’s in the same scenario, RCV doesn’t cover twist or bend in their warranty BTW.

My 2 cents, the stock shafts are really capable and any chrome moly shaft is more than enough for the average guy using common sense. Save the additional cost of RCV and put it towards something else.

Jeeper99

I went with the CroMo spicers on my ‘18 jlur only after finally snapping a stocker. The spicers were the best cost option and the only thing in stock at the time for only about $750. It should be noted the stock shafts survived 2.5 rubicon trips, a week in Moab, 1 trip to Fordyce, and about 30 K miles on 37” tires before breaking. Also when the stock shaft broke I was being an idiot, if I would have asked for help I wouldn’t have broken. Probably would have wrecked or twisted RCV’s in the same scenario, RCV doesn’t cover twist or bend in their warranty BTW.

My 2 cents, the stock shafts are really capable and any chrome moly shaft is more than enough for the average guy using common sense. Save the additional cost of RCV and put it towards something else.

Did you retain FAD with your Spicer axles?

CalSgt

Hooked
Yes, I got the set that retains the FAD.

The FAD side inner shaft wasn’t included with the kit but the factory one seems pretty stout.

Jeeper99

Yes, I got the set that retains the FAD.

The FAD side inner shaft wasn’t included with the kit but the factory one seems pretty stout.
Was it just plug and play?

I ordered the 10044459 set that is supposed to retain FAD. It was backordered. Not sure when it will deliver. But the sooner I order, the sooner it will arrive. 10044474 is the FAD elimination set, if anyone was wondering.

CalSgt

Hooked
Was it just plug and play?

I ordered the 10044459 set that is supposed to retain FAD. It was backordered. Not sure when it will deliver. But the sooner I order, the sooner it will arrive. 10044474 is the FAD elimination set, if anyone was wondering.
Pretty much plug and play, there is a plastic bushing in the end of the FAD shaft that needs to be removed.

Also I did have to use a deadblow to knock one side through the knuckle because the U Joints are huge

Top Bottom