What stereo receiver are you using?

NME

As the title states, looking for what you guys have in your Jeep and is it worth getting or staying away from. I have the stock receiver in my 08 JKU Rubi and the lack of bluetooth and using my phone for maps (to explore) has finally pushed me to just get a new receiver that offers both. But so many damn options...

MericaMade

I'm running the Alpine ILX-207 and love it. You can by the more expensive unit the ILX-207-WRA that has the wire harness already complete and it's more plug-in play.

Sent from my SM-G996U using WAYALIFE mobile app

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Stereo guy I went to told me to pick any one of the Pioneer NEX units.

I chose the Pioneer 4500NEX for my 2009, which doesn't have navigation, but I get that from my phone wired and wireless.

Previously I had a single-din Kenwood deck over a cobra CB unit. It was great, but after wireless phone compatibility, I'll never go back to anything else.

E9EC07EB-9963-4200-BB76-07258B5CD915.jpg
3792F48D-240E-439B-A1B2-602F7DABD795.jpg

Last edited:
I'm running the pioneer 8500nex. Wireless Android auto is just awesome. Took me forever to ditch the stock 430n. Don't miss it at all PXL_20210101_175610255.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

zimm

Caught the Bug
Pioneer here, it's great. It's going on 4 years old so thinking about the 9 or 10 inch floating display model and wireless CarPlay would be nice.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
Pioneer NEX as well. Very happy. Got it second hand off a guy who leased a wrangler and put his stock back in for return. So it was already had the wire harness.
Right now I’m just trying to get it to work with the stock mic since he forgot the aftermarket in his lease. I’d also like to set it up with the ODB. Haven’t found good instructions IMG_2965.jpg 63519008612__8992DC70-E3A7-4C81-8E9D-E3AEC8DE7067.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

zimm

Caught the Bug
Pioneer NEX as well. Very happy. Got it second hand off a guy who leased a wrangler and put his stock back in for return. So it was already had the wire harness.
Right now I’m just trying to get it to work with the stock mic since he forgot the aftermarket in his lease. I’d also like to set it up with the ODB. Haven’t found good instructions.

You should be able to use different screw holes and get that unit nice and flush with the dash.

I got the OBD to work, but it's not worth it. The gauges are kind of lame and don't give you any relevant info. Seems like my engine load is always over 85% and who cares about the rest of the stuff. Gimmick for sure.

The bluetooth and backup camera are the real winners. Wireless CarPlay/android auto would be awesome too, I have to plug mine in each time because it's a 2017 model.

I did the idatalink thing so I got steering wheel buttons working, the XM tuner, and there's a $10 adapter to use the Jeep GPS antenna as the nav if you already had a nav head unit. 5 pounds of crap stuffed into the dash, but the functionality is nice.

duktrx

Right now I’m just trying to get it to work with the stock mic since he forgot the aftermarket in his lease. I’d also like to set it up with the ODB. Haven’t found good instructions View attachment 360660 View attachment 360661

Looks like the same NEX unit I have. I used the Maestro unit to integrate to the OBD. Nice to pull codes real time, as well as seeing which tire just tripped the TPMS low pressure. I also made a hose for the ARB to inflate all 4 tires simultaneously, so I can monitor the pressure progress from inside the Jeep.

Didn't have the built-in mic, but when setting up the Maestro the u-connect integration was an option to select. If you want to go with an pioneer mic, they are cheap, I nicked the wires on mine when pulling the wires for my Trailrocker switch panel, looked up the part number on the pioneer site and Amazon Primed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jamesish

I was just on Crutchfield a few days ago and looks like Alpine finally has a solid competitor at half the price.... I need other things done first but eventually will settle for one of these..

IMG_1284.jpg

I didn’t get the Alpine package and audio is seriously lacking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
You should be able to use different screw holes and get that unit nice and flush with the dash.

I got the OBD to work, but it's not worth it. The gauges are kind of lame and don't give you any relevant info. Seems like my engine load is always over 85% and who cares about the rest of the stuff. Gimmick for sure.

The bluetooth and backup camera are the real winners. Wireless CarPlay/android auto would be awesome too, I have to plug mine in each time because it's a 2017 model.

I did the idatalink thing so I got steering wheel buttons working, the XM tuner, and there's a $10 adapter to use the Jeep GPS antenna as the nav if you already had a nav head unit. 5 pounds of crap stuffed into the dash, but the functionality is nice.

The 5 pounds of crap stuffed back there is why I didn’t change the location of the mounting holes. I also added a Chromecast back there for when I add some kind of WiFi hotspot. Only adds to the amount of crap.

Plug my phone directly into it, no issue with music, maps and some apps. Bluetooth works too for audio.

The steering wheel switches all work no matter what mode I’m in, so it seems I got lucky there.

Thanks for the info on the ODB. If it’s not worth it, I’m not going to worry about it. If I can get WiFi, I can just use the JScan and hopefully the radio screen will mirror my phone screen. Notice I said hopefully. I’m not much of a tech guy, so I believe the HDMI port is ‘out’ only.
I’d also like to add the back up cam.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
Looks like the same NEX unit I have. I used the Maestro unit to integrate to the OBD. Nice to pull codes real time, as well as seeing which tire just tripped the TPMS low pressure. I also made a hose for the ARB to inflate all 4 tires simultaneously, so I can monitor the pressure progress from inside the Jeep.

Didn't have the built-in mic, but when setting up the Maestro the u-connect integration was an option to select. If you want to go with an pioneer mic, they are cheap, I nicked the wires on mine when pulling the wires for my Trailrocker switch panel, looked up the part number on the pioneer site and Amazon Primed it.

Will look into it. Thank you. I’d really like to fix the mic situation the most.

I like my compressed air on a spider set up. Set the regulator, wait 5 minutes and go. Usually aired back up before I finish connecting the sway bar. Get around 3-4 fills per bottle, depending on how much I air down.

Last edited:

duktrx

The 5 pounds of crap stuffed back there is why I didn’t change the location of the mounting holes. I also added a Chromecast back there for when I add some kind of WiFi hotspot. Only adds to the amount of crap.

Plug my phone directly into it, no issue with music, maps and some apps. Bluetooth works too for audio.

The steering wheel switches all work no matter what mode I’m in, so it seems I got lucky there.

Thanks for the info on the ODB. If it’s not worth it, I’m not going to worry about it. If I can get WiFi, I can just use the JScan and hopefully the radio screen will mirror my phone screen. Notice I said hopefully. I’m not much of a tech guy, so I believe the HDMI port is ‘out’ only.
I’d also like to add the back up cam.

I believe the HDMI port is bidirectional, on my work computer I have the directions to flash a Firestick to create a WiFi hotspot and use it for wireless Android Auto.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I’ve been running Pioneer 7200 NEX for years now and it works but it’s a pile or garbage. Pioneer doesn’t update the firmware much after release so you better love it. Mine overheats and randomly reboots more often than is acceptable but I don’t drive much and it works well enough so it’s still in my rig. Alpine is my next headunit.

Torrin

I have the WRA-i207 in my JKU and it works ok. I am using a wireless carplay adaptor that seems to work well with the i207, so it is super convenient.

thebeezknez

Caught the Bug
I was looking endlessly, I wanted multiple camera inputs and wireless CarPlay. Also wanted HD display.

I settled on the KENWOOD DMX1057XR.
Wasn’t sure I’d like the floating display but I actually looks good and fits the 18 JK nicely.

10.1 inch 720 display with 4 camera inputs. And CarPlay is great for displaying Gaia gps app.

New ones are more expensive than I’d like but found a great deal on Crutchfield. It was scratch and dent return, but looked brand new when it arrived

Top Bottom