Weirdly rounded off pinion thread/damaged threads?

Austyposty

Noticed my new 4.88 pinion installed by a shop (they also are responsible for the scuffed pinion seal) seems to be oddly rounded off at the tip and it appears that some threads are damaged. What do you think? I also have gear noise at higher speeds but I’ve been to them 5 times within the past few months to try and fix it and at this point I believe they are simply incompetent at installing gears. I’m at my wits end and feel really deflated about my Jeep, hard to be excited to drive it everyday when the noise reminds me of their crap job they did. I messed up by going to them…
DA23C227-CDEE-4C3E-8F41-9E7DE0088099.jpeg

Not sure what happened exactly but can assume they threw an impact gun on the pinion nut before starting by hand. Seal itself doesn’t look damaged but yes sloppy.

I’d suggest getting a refund at this point after 5 tries or recouping any money you can and going to a new shop.

Ask for the setup specs and post up if they have them. For us we log every spec (backlash, pinion depth, shim stacks, pinion preload) and take pictures of the pattern for all warranty issues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom