Warn Evo 10s JLRU Installed!

Lukdojo

(newb question)
Super excited I installed the winch myself for the first time on my JLRU.
Warn evo 10s and Warn winch plate. Everything went extremely smooth on the install (minus 15 min locating the last washer I dropped... of course it was the last washer)
I just need enlarge the skid plate holes for remounting but other than that I couldn't have asked for a better install. First time ever installing a winch and the job took me about 2.5 hours and about 40 cuts.

Couple of rookie questions:
1) The Winch came spooled up, should I be sure to pretension the synthetic rope now or is it already ready as is?
2) Does everyone cover their winch or leave it uncovered? is it necessary?
3) My rope didn't come with a sheath/ rope protector, should I add one?
4) The factory hook seems flimsy... suggestions on other hook that isn't 300 bucks?

thanks in advance!!!!!
(Pics to follow today after work...)

WJCO

Meme King
1) The Winch came spooled up, should I be sure to pretension the synthetic rope now or is it already ready as is?
I would check the instructions. If it says that it's ready to use, you're good. If it says that you need to do that, then do that. If you criss cross the rope, you don't really need to do it, but if it's wound up tight and pretty, you will need to have it stretched/tensioned.

If parked outside, I would. See this thread: https://www.wayalife.com/threads/winch-cover.46374/

It is nice to have over rocks in certain scenarios. But to add one, you'll have to pull the rope all the way off the drum.
4) The factory hook seems flimsy... suggestions on other hook that isn't 300 bucks?
Factory hook is fine.

Andy5160

Hooked
Very nice and much needed first mode.
As WJCO said see what the instructions say however if it was me i would play with it to be familiar with how to operate the winch e t c
Mine is uncovered and i opted to go with Warn Sidewinder.

What license plate mount you are going with?

Lukdojo

Very nice and much needed first mode.
As WJCO said see what the instructions say however if it was me i would play with it to be familiar with how to operate the winch e t c
Mine is uncovered and i opted to go with Warn Sidewinder.

What license plate mount you are going with?
Thanks. I need to find some space and run it a few times. good point.

I got the Warn fairlead bracket and license plate holder:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even with steel rope, it's always a good idea to pretension it before use. Not really a big deal if you don't but you will run the risk of the rope working its way through the winds and that'll jam things up.

I park all my Jeeps in the garage and so I don't cover mine. BUT, if my Jeeps were to be outside in the elements, I would.

Is it safe to assume you're talking about the rock guard that some come with? If so, they are good to have if you play on the rocks a lot. If not, it can be helpful to have and there are some that velcro in place and you can affix it as needed on the trail.

Nothing wrong with the factory hook. It's what I use even on Moby.

Top Bottom