VIDEO : Doorless & Topless Snow Wheeling Fun

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There's nothing unusual about having to wheel our Jeeps, though the snow and even well into summer or at least, up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. In fact, this is something that Cindy and I have had to do countless times over the years, especially on trails such as the Rubicon. With that said, we went digging through some old footage and came across one such time and thought that it might be something you would enjoy. And, in this video, you'll get to see all the fun we had slipping and sliding our way, up and over slick and slushy snow drifts, in the middle of July and of course, with all our Jeeps running doorless and topless.

And yes, what you're seeing is from way back when Moby was still running a 3.8L V6 under the hood, a 6-speed manual transmission and big ass 40x15.50 Toyos mounted on 20" Spyderloc wheels. The orange JK belonged to our friend Brian and he was running a HEMI, 40" Toyos and the very first 75.5" wide ProRock 60s. Mirek was running the Rescue Green JK with 37" Nitto Mud Grapplers. Good times from a long time ago. 🤪

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
that was fun to watch

makes everything itchy for the cold to clear out so I can start complaining about the heat...but I'll be doing it outdoors while having fun! lol

Last edited:

XT Carol

A snow newbie here.

So I assume the bigger tires are better on snow, as in sand?

Also, what air pressure is best for doing that?

What percentage of the time were lockers needed?

Thank you

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Blast from the past! That looked like a lot of fun and a cool trail! I assume without the snow drifts that it’s a pretty mild trail?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Blast from the past👍 I also see that the wheels are 5x5 bolt pattern on all the Jeeps
LOL - yup, this video is that old! 🤪
A snow newbie here.

So I assume the bigger tires are better on snow, as in sand?

Also, what air pressure is best for doing that?

What percentage of the time were lockers needed?

Thank you
Depends on the snow. If it's fresh and dry or wet and heavy or slush and ice like what you see in this video. A lot of times, a narrower tire with more air is desirable in that it will dig down and find traction. On conditions like this, a wider foot print will give you more to work with but sometimes, nothing short of chains help.
Great video. I always loved playing in snow when it was warm enough to wear shorts a a tshirt.
Good fun for sure!
Great video Eddie! Thanks for sharing it. Looks like a lot of fun up there. Gorgeous lakes too.
Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the video :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff, ‘twas a beautiful day for a snow run. Thanks for the video!
Glad you enjoyed the video :cool:
Slick stuff! Looks like a fun time. I see you caught proof of ufo’s, too.
View attachment 372931
LOL - too funny 🤪
Blast from the past! That looked like a lot of fun and a cool trail! I assume without the snow drifts that it’s a pretty mild trail?
To be perfectly honest, a lot of what you see is normally a paved road going through a campground. LOL

Top Bottom