VHF / UHF - Race Radio Antennas, Mounting & Grounding

Colorado4x4

VHF / UHF - Race Radio Antennas, Mounting & Grounding

You are able to program the gmrs frequencies in the ham radio I would save the cash and just get a dual band ham radio now with a remote head and get a dual band 2m/70cm antenna especially if you make sure you get a two vfo radio so you can monitor both your gmrs and your ham band/repeater of choice on the same radio

Robert Ring
KC1IMA
Maine

I agree. The technician test is so easy to take and pass that my 9 year old could do it. It’s not hard folks and it opens you up to so many more possibilities of communicating with repeaters. It’s not some secret Masons club or something. My buddy didn’t know shit about ham radio and studied for the test for a few days, passed the test and the FCC gets your license to you extremely quick, maybe a week and he was on the air with repeaters. I get these race radios but they’re way overpriced

$150 gets you an 80 watt VHF mobile
https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015771

$142 gets you a MIL-spec true rugged radio that puts out over 75 watts
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/kwd-tm-281a

Save your money. Easily take and pass the test and get on the air and do it legally[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Colorado4x4

I’m going to run the same antennae for my gmrs/ham setup... but I’m going to mount it on the other side... I’ll fab up a bracket that bolts to the top of the EVO tire carrier hinge. At least, thats the plan for now.

I see you have a lift on the passenger side though... Hate to see you put screw holes in the body of the Jeep.

I used to run my dual band antenna like that with a trunk lip mount and it worked good. It occasionally got caught or whacked with the rear window when my wife was opening the rear gate. I installed a backup camera and that jacked it all up. I since moved the antenna up to the front hood area. I don’t love it being there but it’s been working great. There’s some articles out there on Jeep specific antenna locations and several of them mentioned off the side of the hood is the best location since a roof mount wouldn’t work with the plastic hard top. I’ve made longer contacts since I moved the antenna up to 90 miles on simplex without a repeater compared to the rear tailgate location. [emoji869]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

robx251

Caught the Bug
I would use a duplexer rather than an A/B switch. I'd imagine a switch would be quite lossy; and you wouldn't want to forget to flip it back over and inadvertently transmit over a radio without an antenna connected.

I used to run two radios, and just used two antennas, but eventually caved, and now I just use my Yaesu 8900r for both ham and GMRS; some need a mod (jumper removed) to work on both, but mine was missing that jumper out of the box. The general consensus is that it's not really policed, unless you're causing interference or other issues. In my radio I programmed the local GMRS repeaters, and labeled them accordingly, so when just out on trail runs we can make sure to avoid them. I also found a couple of shared Canada channels that were not allowed to operate on high power in my region, so did the same with those as well.

It's been a while, but to get your GMRS license, I believe you have to first apply for an FRN number on the FCC website... and once you've got your FRN, you can login and now see the options to file for the license. Not sure if that's changed or has been simplified since, but that's how it used to be (speaking of which, I should check on mine, lol... my GMRS is probably approaching expiration, if not already expired). I think you also need the FRN before taking your tech/ham license exam as well.

You do not need an frn number before you take your test if you do not have one I believe you put your ssn number in the box where the frn goes and they will assign you an frn upon issuance of your license. Takes about 1-2 weeks turn around from test to having issue call sign and frn online

Robert Ring
KC1IMA
Maine

robx251

Caught the Bug
So tons of reading about ground plane, adjacent metal, chassis ground, etc and I had an idea I wanted to run by this thread.

Would a little stainless angle screwed directly to the tub between the drivers taillight and the tailgate opening be a good spot if I am trying to keep it on the rear of the Jeep?

I am thinking of using this antenna which is 37" tall so the tip should clear the top of the Jeep if mounted there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013PY035O/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3OIC2DXBFCE1I&psc=1

View attachment 356751

Unfortunately the only real way to check is to try it. I have mine mounted on my tailgate hinge. Swrs are not perfect but will within safe range on the 2m70cm bands. I haven’t tried on the 6m 10m bands yet because I don’t have an swr meter capable of it. I have in my Jeep a tyt9800 quad band radio with a diamond quad band antenna does 10m 6m 2m and 70cm on both the radio and antenna. Also I can receive 11m am(cb) frequencies but an not able to transmit on them as my radio does not transmit on am.

Robert Ring
KC1IMA
Maine

treys1

Unfortunately the only real way to check is to try it. I have mine mounted on my tailgate hinge. Swrs are not perfect but will within safe range on the 2m70cm bands. I haven’t tried on the 6m 10m bands yet because I don’t have an swr meter capable of it. I have in my Jeep a tyt9800 quad band radio with a diamond quad band antenna does 10m 6m 2m and 70cm on both the radio and antenna. Also I can receive 11m am(cb) frequencies but an not able to transmit on them as my radio does not transmit on am.

Robert Ring
KC1IMA
Maine

Curses! Making holes to test sounds less fun than just making holes in general.

Top Bottom