Transmission Fluid Change

Jsouder53

Hooked
I know there are different threads on transmission fluid changes.

I had a question on fluid, would I be fine going with Valvoline atf+4 or should I order and wait for mopar fluid. My Napa has the valvoline fluid and I can grab it tomorrow, which I have to run there tomorrow anyways.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Also, does Eddie have a write up on the transmission fluid change? Couldn’t seem to find one.
I think I’ve seen one before but it’s really easy on a JK with the auto. Simply pull the drain plug let it drain, pull the pan, let it drain some more. Replace the filter, clean the pan and magnet, I’d replace the pan seal (basically a big o-ring and comes with the filter), put the pan back on and refill through the dip stick.

desertrunner

I think the hardest part is going to be removing the pan. I've watched a few videos on it because I need to do my 4dr soon and of course the exhaust cross over and the transmission cross member are right in the way. so yeah in general, drain, pull the pan, replace filter, put it all together, fill is the steps but I think removing the pan will be a bit more involved or time consuming. Id love to see what you come up with for a write up since its on my to do list as well.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I think the hardest part is going to be removing the pan. I've watched a few videos on it because I need to do my 4dr soon and of course the exhaust cross over and the transmission cross member are right in the way. so yeah in general, drain, pull the pan, replace filter, put it all together, fill is the steps but I think removing the pan will be a bit more involved or time consuming. Id love to see what you come up with for a write up since its on my to do list as well.
I’ll try and make it detailed in that case. I saw that about the cross member and exhaust crossover as well. Hopefully it won’t be a pain in the ass 😂 I have all the time in the world since I’m probably off work for a few weeks, it’s time to get caught up on projects.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
There is or was a write up on this site. One of the guys fabricated his own tool to work around the bolts that are blocked. I can’t seem to find it, but maybe he sees this and can chime in. I did mine last year and was able to get everything off. The biggest mess you’ll make is when you pull the filter. It will splatter, so maybe put a plastic bag over it or something to help out there.

Bear_JT

Hooked
It’s easier than you think. This picture is from when I had to fix a leak on my JK. The cross member (red arrow) does not support the transmission and you remove it. The transmission cross member (green arrow) stays in place. It is a little snug with the exhaust in place but there is no need to remove that. You can totally work around it and the transmission cross member. It’s a little snug but take your time and you will get it

BE64E21B-58BA-4D05-A39F-C89734714B4E.jpeg

Hilop

Caught the Bug
Wasn’t to hard at all, just watch the angle of the pan while removing. I just use Walmart brand fluids on my Jeep, never had an issue.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Just be careful refilling it and do the whole crazy process where you idle for 5 minutes, shift through the gears, put it in N, and all that. I messed up, over filled mine, had it boil over and the gears were slipping. I had to pump fluid back out running a hose all the way down into the tranny.

Top Bottom