Trailer options

desertrunner

Getting back into doing trailer research. hopefully ill have another F150 and trailer by early next year.
I'm mostly looking for what people are using when towing a rig on full width axles and 40x1350. my 2dr is currently 83" wide and my old PJ was exactly that between the fenders and barely snuck by. By my best guess it would end up at 86" +/- 1" to be on 1 tons. I would rather stay away from a deck over just for stability towing with a 1/2 ton and so far I have only found PJ and Big Tex to be 83" between the fenders. Kinda has me looking at drive over fender options but with my PJ my rear tires sat in-between the wheels when tied down meaning id have to park it up on a fender. To me that seems sketchy but maybe its more common than I think?
I want it to be able to haul either of my rigs so an 18' makes sense IMO but not sure I have seen any 4drs sitting on a 16'. Anyone have experience with putting a JKU on a 16' trailer?
my options are understandably going to be limited towing with a 1/2 ton but was curious to see how people make the width work without going deck over, or massive triple axle gooseneck.

CalSgt

Hooked
I made one of my fenders removable so I can load up, then just bolt the fender back in place. For my trailer, 12 foot deck i think not including the 2 foot beavertail at the end, tongue weight was perfect with the rear tires just behind the trailer fenders with the rear of the jeep loaded with gear.
IMG_5833.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
I don't have a picture of it but JeffJ has a nice setup with the back of the fenders notched for the rear tires and the fronts would drive over. It was pretty cool the way it worked out and almost held the Jeep in place

desertrunner

I don't have a picture of it but JeffJ has a nice setup with the back of the fenders notched for the rear tires and the fronts would drive over. It was pretty cool the way it worked out and almost held the Jeep in place
he posted a picture of it on another thread in here. looks really clean and absolutely an option down the road if / when the 2dr gets 1 tons, since for now it will just fit.

p38

Caught the Bug
My jeep is 85" outside to outside at the fronts, the rears are a bit narrower. Finding a trailer to handle that width, especially in Calif, was a challenge. My first trailers were Featherlite auto haulers; nice trailers - light weight, well built, and they track perfectly. They required the use of ramps and removal of fenders; once loaded - the fenders reinstalled between the front and rear tires of the jeep. The Featherlites are great trailers, we just sort of outgrew them. We started adding work lights, generators, fuel cans, etc which put us over capacity, and I'm getting older and dealing with ramps and fenders was losing it's appeal.
Enter the Walton 20' tilt bed - 16' of tilt with a 4' stationary deck. 86" between the fenders, 14.5K capacity, available in both bumper pull and gooseneck. A wood deck is stock, we plan to replace the wood with metal and add a fuel tank below the deck - between the axles. My tow rig is a 2020 Ford F350 Limited, lifted, leveled, airbags, on 35"s. I chose a bumper pull because I have a shell and one of those slide out bed trays.
Here's some pictures of the Walton, and my nephew headed to the recent Cobra Rally with a friend's Cobra on the Featherlite. He's towing with a 70's Pace Arrow motorhome - less than 5000' original miles, barn find.
And yes - that's a real original Cobra

Attachments

• IMG_3144.jpeg
    IMG_3144.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3232.jpeg
    IMG_3232.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3564.jpeg
    IMG_3564.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3566.jpeg
    IMG_3566.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 63649085927__665BF98A-7361-4B34-9AFF-84E37ACDE7CE.jpeg
    63649085927__665BF98A-7361-4B34-9AFF-84E37ACDE7CE.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 17

p38

Caught the Bug
Note regarding bumper pull trailers: Towing on the highway or level(ish) service roads, I use a standard ball set up. Going off-road into a remote campsite - Sierra Trek would be a good example, I switch to a pintle set up - it allows more range for twisting and angle change between the trailer and the tow rig.

Top Bottom