Tire Removal (Non Beadlock Wheels)

treys1

Hey everyone,

I am going to get some beadlocks in a few weeks and since nobody will mount them and I have nothing else big enough to carry the currently wheels and tires to have them broken down, I will have to do that myself. I have watched some videos of this process and I actually do my own maintenance on my mountain & road bikes, which all run tubeless setups, so I understand the procedure of removing a stiff beaded tire from a rim.

What I wanted to get some feedback on was if the forum as a whole had some preferred tire irons / bead breaker tool & tips. I see Harbor Freight has a few tire irons / bead breakers, so what are y'all using?

MericaMade

Attach to a wood palette or add some 2x3 for legs and I took off both beadlock and non beadlock tires with this tool. Screenshot_20210108-230847_Chrome.jpg

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I’ve just used a hog lift jack under my rock sliders in the past or the tray of my old Ute to break the bead and then 2 tire irons on the ground to feed the tire off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
You can do this with a hi lift jack, a regular jack, a sledge hammer, a block of wood and some patience... but honestly, take your tires to a shop and have them removed and put on, yeah they won’t install the headlocks for you, but leave the outer ring off and do t have them inflate it. Do the rest at your house. Shit, even if the just get the tires off the old wheel for you is all that matters. Installing tires on bead locks is a breeze...

Edit: sooo I just actually read your post... it’s going to be a pain in the ass getting the old tires off, find a friend anyone to help get them off the wheels and back to your house. Take them one by one up there. Getting tires off sucks on non beadlocks but if you must, a highlift will be your friend

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

CalSgt

Hooked
What kind wheels will the tires be coming off of?

Steel wheels - Break the beads any of the ways already mentioned, or even a duck billed hammer. Lube the shit out of the tire bead and rim. Be sure to keep the opposite bead of the tire pushed down in the drop center and work your way around the rim with tire irons or pry bars taking little bites each time.

Aluminum - Worth while to get a shop to break them down and dismount, we had tire spoons that had nylon covers on them when I worked at a shop but I've had a hard time finding them ever since, there's similar stuff on Amazon (links below) but I've never used these specific ones. Pry bars without covers will gouge the shit out of the lip on aluminum wheels. The process is the same for removing the tire as described above with the risk of screwing up the finish on the wheels.

If you have the TPMS on the valve stems they may prevent the bead from going into the drop center of the wheel so start your tire spoons at the vale stem.

reverseMount_infographic.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Guard-Changer-Lifting-2201655/dp/B01N25EC47/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=tire+iron+covers&qid=1610237078&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Fasmov-15-5-Tire-Irons-Changing/dp/B071YLDTW9/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=tire+irons&qid=1610237249&sr=8-7

treys1

Thanks everyone!

They are coming off steel wheels but there are TPMS so thanks for mentioning that. The steelies took a ton of weight to balance and as such the shop offered to take them back for credit against something else and is giving me 10% off for the hassle, so I figured it was the right time to pick up some KMC Hex!

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
Now, if you need someone to simply break a rim, let me know..... alloy, steel it doesn't matter, just sayin.
Good luck with the swap.

Courtesy is given. Respect is earned.

07 JKU Sahara - Rrangdar
07 JKU Rubicon - Drachyn

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Now, if you need someone to simply break a rim, let me know..... alloy, steel it doesn't matter, just sayin.
Good luck with the swap.

Courtesy is given. Respect is earned.

07 JKU Sahara - Rrangdar
07 JKU Rubicon - Drachyn

Lol! Too funny

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom