Tie Rod Replacement?

Hack12

So, I just got a call from my mechanic telling me that my JK was ready to be picked up after having new rotors, pads, and ball joints installed. All easy stuff to do myself, I know, I just haven't had the spare time unfortunately.

He also mentioned that, as I had asked him to earlier, he had spoken to his alignment guy about why I was unable to get a good alignment the last two times I brought it to a local tire shop. The first time after installing a new lift and the second after installing new wheels/tires, with both alignments knocking my steering wheel farther off center than it had been previously.

Long story short, he said my "tie rod sleeves" are completely shot and would talk to me more about it when I pick up my rig tomorrow morning.

Needless to say, I'd like to be a little more knowledgable on the subject than I am now. So, my questions are as follows:

1. Is it safe to take home and drive until I order/install new parts in the next week or two?

2. Should I purchase a whole new tie rod or can I save cash by purchasing just the "sleeves"?

3. If I do replace my tie rod, will it come with everything I will need, or will I still have to buy sleeves separately?

4. Any recommendations on what brand to buy without breaking the bank too much?

Thanks in advance guys!

Tigrcky

So, I just got a call from my mechanic telling me that my JK was ready to be picked up after having new rotors, pads, and ball joints installed. All easy stuff to do myself, I know, I just haven't had the spare time unfortunately.

He also mentioned that, as I had asked him to earlier, he had spoken to his alignment guy about why I was unable to get a good alignment the last two times I brought it to a local tire shop. The first time after installing a new lift and the second after installing new wheels/tires, with both alignments knocking my steering wheel farther off center than it had been previously.

Long story short, he said my "tie rod sleeves" are completely shot and would talk to me more about it when I pick up my rig tomorrow morning.

Needless to say, I'd like to be a little more knowledgable on the subject than I am now. So, my questions are as follows:

1. Is it safe to take home and drive until I order/install new parts in the next week or two?

2. Should I purchase a whole new tie rod or can I save cash by purchasing just the "sleeves"?

3. If I do replace my tie rod, will it come with everything I will need, or will I still have to buy sleeves separately?

Thanks in advance guys!

get a 2nd opinion that does not sound right at all. sounds like someone is to lazy to spray a little PB in there and apply some heat to get it to move and be adjusted... i bet they will push for a whole set up

Hack12

get a 2nd opinion that does not sound right at all. sounds like someone is to lazy to spray a little PB in there and apply some heat to get it to move and be adjusted... i bet they will push for a whole set up

Yeah, I'll know more when I pick it up tomorrow morning and I'm able to inspect/test it myself.

salfi

Thanks in advance guys!

I just replace both drivers side TRE's (drag link and tie rod) on my 09. I have never touched em, and they were corroded pretty bad, but a lil ole WD-40 and a few taps to set the vibration in and I was able to remove them.
It's safe, as long as every thing is tightened up, you can tell is there is a lot of slack in the steering. I'm assuming the mechanic made sure they were tight since he mentioned they were shot.
You can replace just the sleeves as long as the threads aren't messed up on the TRE's them selves.
You can replace each part individually if you wish.
I used Moog from my local auto parts store. They're solid and grease-able.

Hack12

It's safe, as long as every thing is tightened up, you can tell is there is a lot of slack in the steering. I'm assuming the mechanic made sure they were tight since he mentioned they were shot.
You can replace just the sleeves as long as the threads aren't messed up on the TRE's them selves.

Now that you mention it, my steering has felt a little "loose/flighty" for the last few months. He did also mention that the threads looked like crap too.

He's an old high school buddy who knows that I almost always buy aftermarket upgraded parts and install them on my own so I'm hesitant to think he is just trying to make some extra money off me.

Last edited:

Tigrcky

Thanks to lee being sarcastic here is PB 1395186926217.jpg

Sent from my whatyamacallit

You can always use wintergreen as a way to break the corrosion loose. Also the kids at work use milk of magnesium to break loose bolts in the jet exhaust.

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

Hack12

Is there any easy way for me to check the tie rod ends tomorrow once I pick up my JK? Any easy to spot signs of failure?

Tigrcky

He's an old high school buddy who knows that I almost always buy aftermarket upgraded parts and install them on my own so I'm hesitant to think he is just trying to make some extra money off me.

if you trust him then disregard the 2nd opinion, if you get new stuff, a good coat of anti-seize works wonders on rust prevention but im sure you buddy knows this

Is there any easy way for me to check the tie rod ends tomorrow once I pick up my JK? Any easy to spot signs of failure?

if you can have some one turn the steering wheel side to side while you look for play in the joints, or you can jack up one tire and grab each side of the tire and move it by hand in the turn direction feeling for slop. you might want to take this chance to upgrade all your steering components to stronger stuff.

Hack12

if you can have some one turn the steering wheel side to side while you look for play in the joints, or you can jack up one tire and grab each side of the tire and move it by hand in the turn direction feeling for slop. you might want to take this chance to upgrade all your steering components to stronger stuff.

Gotcha, I'll have the wife assist me in checking tomorrow.

If I were to consider upgrading all my steering components, what would that entail?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

"Sleeves"? As in more than one? Your factory tie rod only has one and it's an adjuster on the driver side. If the threads on it are damaged, it can be a problem and should be replaced. If that's not what he's referring to, I'd be interested in hearing what it is he's referring to.

Depends on whether or not it's bad enough that you're getting DW.

If it really is damaged, I might just get a new one. Crown sells OE ones for cheap or, you can always use the opportunity to upgrade.

It'll come in two parts (the actual tie rod with passenger side tie rod end installed and driver side adjuster with the same) and with everything you need to just install it.

As mentioned, I would give the Crown OE tie rod a look as it's cheap. If you're looking to upgrade, I might consider the Rock Kralwer.

Hack12

"Sleeves"? As in more than one? Your factory tie rod only has one and it's an adjuster on the driver side. If the threads on it are damaged, it can be a problem and should be replaced. If that's not what he's referring to, I'd be interested in hearing what it is he's referring to.

Depends on whether or not it's bad enough that you're getting DW.

If it really is damaged, I might just get a new one. Crown sells OE ones for cheap or, you can always use the opportunity to upgrade.

It'll come in two parts (the actual tie rod with passenger side tie rod end installed and driver side adjuster with the same) and with everything you need to just install it.

As mentioned, I would give the Crown OE tie rod a look as it's cheap. If you're looking to upgrade, I might consider the Rock Kralwer.

Thanks, Eddie! Exactly what I was looking for! :thumb:

I just got it back and you are correct in assuming that it is the threads on the adjuster that seem to be seized. Besides that, he said the tie rod seems fine and it'll be perfectly safe to drive in the meantime. I have never experienced any DW. Thank you for all the great recommendations!

Top Bottom