The build of Balder

Sgt_USMC

Mine made the p/s rear grab last month and I though ok in the next couple months. Yea, that changed on Tuesday. It was REALLY hot when I got back. Oh well, I don’t have enough to do what I want to do, but this will do just fine until I can replace the calipers, rotors, pads and e brake shoes.

Sgt_USMC

Took a look at the brakes today. Seized caliper. We left the rear lines alone for now, got a new caliper and swapped it. Also swapped the stock front lines for extended lines.

Sgt_USMC

Got the CB bolted to my CB Bar and mounted inside. I think it came out very good! It also gave me a place to put my phone. I still need to extend/finish the wiring. I’m working out how I want to mount the antenna and then I’ll run that as well. I’m playing with some ideas for the space between the bar and windshield, maybe a shelf. More on that later if I decide to do anything there.
54E27180-2867-4C5F-965E-CF15EF56B327.jpeg

Sgt_USMC

Ordered the coax and antenna to finish my CB install. Firestik for both. The coax is 9’ and has the Fire ring with a k-4a stud already.

Sgt_USMC

My coax came in. I ordered the 9’ co-ax with firering and k-4a mount, but the sent me the 18’ version. That’s ok though. The 18’ comes without the radio side connector on it so I will just cut it down and put the connector on. It’s actually I bit easier this way since the 9’ comes with the connector already on it. Now I don’t have to drill a big hole. The firefly should come in tomorrow.

Sgt_USMC

I got the antenna in today. I was looking at mounting it to use the stock antenna location, but I’m not 100% on if I can make that work right now. I looked at the carrier, but that’s going to be harder given it doesn’t have an area for the wire to go when it’s closed. I’m not 100% no on fender mounting, but am unsure of how I would feel with it being in my vision while driving. Anyone have any other suggestions for a location to put the antenna?

Sgt_USMC

I got the antenna mount made today. I had made one out of a small L bracket, but didn’t like how it was going to look. I have a long scrap of 1/4” by 2” steel plate. So I bent it and cut it down to size. Sadly, I don’t have an angle grinder so I had to do it with a hack saw. I’m beat for today. Tomorrow I’ll drill the 3 holes and mount it up. Then I just have to run the coax and finish the power wires. Im putting it on the passenger side all the way back on the tub. I may still figure out how to use the factory spot eventually, but this will work fine for now.
Here’s a couple pics of the mount I made.
05C86226-0798-45F5-A0EA-BB90E6AC0EB6.jpeg
B63F2109-95D5-4B04-9D2D-AEAE7AB1C536.jpeg

Sgt_USMC

So yea, looks like I’ll just be mounting the antenna on the P/S front fender for now. I’m going to save that mount to go where the factory antenna is eventually. I’m going to sand down the area on the underside where I drill the hole on the fender and hit it with some rattle can once the antenna is on.

I got the antenna mount made today. I had made one out of a small L bracket, but didn’t like how it was going to look. I have a long scrap of 1/4” by 2” steel plate. So I bent it and cut it down to size. Sadly, I don’t have an angle grinder so I had to do it with a hack saw. I’m beat for today. Tomorrow I’ll drill the 3 holes and mount it up. Then I just have to run the coax and finish the power wires. Im putting it on the passenger side all the way back on the tub. I may still figure out how to use the factory spot eventually, but this will work fine for now.
Here’s a couple pics of the mount I made.
View attachment 381747
View attachment 381748
Wouldn't 1/2" thick be stronger?

Sgt_USMC

2x1/4 is the scrap I have on hand.

I don’t know about mounting an antenna inside, but I suspect the top would still interfere. IIRC, Firestick says that tops, tennis balls and antenna flags will mess with SWR.

Sgt_USMC

So had a quick go at the SWR. It’s over 3 on both 1 and 40, with it being higher on 1.
NOTE: I did just realize that I forgot to sand the underside of the fender where the bolt passes through. 🤦‍♂️ I’ll hit that in the morning and I’ll also have lots of help then as well since I’ll be with the club.

Sgt_USMC

Nothing done lately, but I have come up with a name I like much better, Balder. He’s a Norse god that was considered the god of light (among a couple other things) and also only one thing in the universe could kill him.

Sgt_USMC

Wouldn’t you know it, Murphy reared his nasty head this morning. I saw a little liquid spot under the jeep and after looking around I found it’s coming from the condensation drain for the HVAC housing. It is coolant so I’m figuring the heater core needs replacing now.

Sgt_USMC

I’m going to bypass it until I get everything I need together. That way I can still drive it without any concern. It’ll just be a bit chilly.

Brute

Hooked
Nothing done lately, but I have come up with a name I like much better, Balder. He’s a Norse god that was considered the god of light (among a couple other things) and also only one thing in the universe could kill him.
He also began to lose his hair as he got older…

Top Bottom