The build of Balder

Sgt_USMC

Looks like Ike it will be this weekend before I can install this. My FIL decided that he wanted the parts somewhere else. He went to move them and dropped both the tie rod and drag link. šŸ¤¬ Scratched the paint off in a couple spots on both, so I have to repaint them now. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

bmkrinne

Funny how shit like that drives my OCC wildā€¦scratch it before install and I canā€™t stand it. A few trail rides and dings later Iā€™m like ehh, itā€™s got character! šŸ˜‚

Sgt_USMC

I got the linkage repainted today, and my FIL soaked it all while watering the plants that were a few feet away. I had just finished putting on the final coat. I went inside to use the bathroom and came right back out. When I saw what happened I took a rag and attempted to wipe the water off, hoping it had cured enough that the water didnā€™t affect it. Nope. So Iā€™m back at square one, and very pissed off! It looks like I have to lock them up to dry in my shed to keep them from being messed with.

Sgt_USMC

I finally got to install the ZJ swap! I canā€™t get over how much more beefy it is compared to stock stuff. I did reuse the steering stabilizer for now, but that will get swapped in time. Itā€™s just not high on my list. I took most of the day to do it, but all done! I got the steering wheel centered, and all the joints are freshly greased. Iā€™m going to hit my alma mater and see if I can do the toe adjustment on their hunter 4 wheel alignment machine next week sometime. Tomorrow Iā€™m having a coolant flush done at the dealership. The steering wasnā€™t bad before, just old and had a bit of a shimmy. I havenā€™t gone far in it yet, just up and down my street to straighten the steering wheel. Itā€™s very likely still off given that I have been on trails smoother than my street. It feels good though! Not hard, but by no means loose. I also ordered the ATF+4 for the transmission and tcase too. ED3E4898-323C-40CE-8E59-C293E3CB966D.jpeg
035A2637-CE76-4A00-9B24-CEC1C4806E11.jpeg
EFC2E3BD-4B8A-4BB2-B57E-3E40B622B8C7.jpeg
Hereā€™s the old stuff. Not bad for 16 years old though! D7D1F15B-03F1-4401-8ABE-6944C64D0B66.jpeg

Last edited:

Sgt_USMC

I only have a few things left that I want done before the drive to Fl. Transmission fluid and filter, Tcase fluid and the OPDA. The rest of the fluids and such Iā€™m having done for me. I was going to farm out the transmission too, but the place I called will only do a flush and no filter. No thanks. Iā€™ll do it myself. I donā€™t want to flush the transmission right before an almost 2000 mile trek. At least with the coolant flush I have time to drive before I leave. The cooling system has only been serviced at dealers since I got it.

Sgt_USMC

So the Engine Oil and Diff Oil is going to be done on Monday. 20% off, that will help! Iā€™m going to do conventional oil for both.

Sgt_USMC

Coolant flush is done and a new radiator cap put on. Not a bad price at all for it being done at a dealership: $167.99 out the door!

Sgt_USMC

Looks like I may be taking it back to the dealer. I noticed there is a little coolant on the drivers side bottom corner of the radiator when I looked under today. Iā€™m going to wipe it and see if it comes back. Iā€™ll just have to see how that goes, but last thing I want is a cooling problem driving through the southwest in triple digit weather.

Sgt_USMC

My ATF came in yesterday afternoon. Not a bad shipping time given I ordered on Wednesday evening. Iā€™m going to go order the trans filter and gasket and the OPDA on Tuesday. Iā€™ll get the engine oil and diffs done tomorrow at the lube rack, possibly the smog too. I still have the trans filter/fluid, tcase, OPDA, smog and registration to do before I leave for Fl.

Last edited:

Sgt_USMC

I did some running around to make sure there werenā€™t any cooling problems. Didnā€™t show any, thankfully! I checked the bottom of the radiator when I got home and itā€™s still dry. So on to the next task. I have to hold off on ordering the OPDA and trans filter/gasket for a couple days. Slowly, but surely things are getting done.

Sgt_USMC

Got the OPDA ordered and should be able to pick it up tomorrow. Iā€™m getting it smogged tomorrow and also picking up the trans filter and gasket from Napa. I also need to pick up some aluminum square stock to do an alignment. As long as everything works out I will be doing the transmission filter and gasket, the tcase fluid and possibly the OPDA on Friday at the base. Almost done with the maintenance work. Some other stuff I need to do eventually, but I will knock that out little by little while upgrading/modding (finally).

Last edited:

Sgt_USMC

Got it smogged today, but Iā€™m not in any condition do get anything else done today. I will have to pick everything up tomorrow and hit the base on Saturday to do everything.

Sgt_USMC

Picked up the OPDA, transmission filter and gasket, snagged up a tire plug kit, and hit HD for some aluminum square stock so I can do my alignment. I will do the alignment tomorrow and the fluids/OPDA on Sunday.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Picked up the OPDA, transmission filter and gasket, snagged up a tire plug kit, and hit HD for some aluminum square stock so I can do my alignment. I will do the alignment tomorrow and the fluids/OPDA on Sunday.
Good luck on getting everything done (y)

Sgt_USMC

Thanks! Iā€™m cutting it close for sure. Leaving for Fl on Friday morning. šŸ˜³ Also got an appointment to have the tires rotated and balanced for Monday. This has definitely taught me not to procrastinate on routine maintenance!

Sgt_USMC

Got the alignment done. I knew it was off, but holy cow! Over an inch toe in! šŸ˜± It took a little fussing, but I have it set at 3/32 toe in. Centering the steering wheel took a bit, but thankfully I have a brand new school parking lot right by the house! That took a while, but I wanted it dead straight.

Something really odd happened while I was making the final adjustment. Some random person started screaming at me from across the 4 lane street. When he kept screaming as he started crossing the street I just picked up my 1/2ā€ torque wrench and the 7 pound sledgehammer in keep in the Jeep. Put one on each shoulder and he turned around in the middle of the street and went right back! šŸ¤£ Thankfully I was done and everything was torqued down, so I went home in a very round about way. Now itā€™s time to cool down and have a power aide!

Top Bottom