The BEST Internet Expert Advice I've Been Given

wjtstudios

Hooked
The only time I ever thru a bead before bead locks was trying like hell to get up and over a steep hill on a trail in the snow. And yes, a lot of skinny pedal involved

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The only time I ever thru a bead before bead locks was trying like hell to get up and over a steep hill on a trail in the snow. And yes, a lot of skinny pedal involved
Exactly! Not saying that it can't happen but it does take a lot more effort to do than to just driving around in the sand.

Bierpower

Hooked
Exactly! Not saying that it can't happen but it does take a lot more effort to do than to just driving around in the sand.
I've had them at 0 psi in a tire shop and watched the bead breaker slip off and across the sidewall. They're on there pretty good. Most common issue I saw from tires being flat or way too little pressure is the inside of the tire breaking down from the heat and friction but that tire would still get you out of a bad situation.

I've had them at 0 psi in a tire shop and watched the bead breaker slip off and across the sidewall. They're on there pretty good. Most common issue I saw from tires being flat or way too little pressure is the inside of the tire breaking down from the heat and friction but that tire would still get you out of a bad situation.
Oh man I can't tell you enough how annoying that is when the shovel slips out and across the sidewall 🤣

Brute

Hooked
I really have to wonder, how many of these internet experts have actually rolled a bead or even seen a rolled bead? I mean, I personally have NEVER rolled a bead, even when aired way down like I was in this video. Sure, I've seen my fair share of them over the last 20+ years but in ever single case, it was on the rocks and or on slick terrain where the driver was a noob or just a moron or had to use a lot more skinny pedal.
I’ve seen one guy roll his rear tire off the bead in sand, and he was aired down to 6 psi…we just jacked it up and put air in it…it reseated fairly easily (it was a 35” BFG KM2)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, I've seen beadlock wheels roll the inside bead.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve seen one guy roll his rear tire off the bead in sand, and he was aired down to 6 psi…we just jacked it up and put air in it…it reseated fairly easily (it was a 35” BFG KM2)
What was he doing when it happened?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
He just completed a steep hill climb on a dune, then came down the other side pretty fast…then turned on the bottom when the tire rolled off the bead.
Sounds like fun and yes, any of that individually could lead to a rolled bead. I've just yet to see someone roll a bead simply because they were driving with low psi.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I really have to wonder, how many of these internet experts have actually rolled a bead or even seen a rolled bead? I mean, I personally have NEVER rolled a bead, even when aired way down like I was in this video. Sure, I've seen my fair share of them over the last 20+ years but in ever single case, it was on the rocks and or on slick terrain where the driver was a noob or just a moron or had to use a lot more skinny pedal.
Especially in a light ass two door. You could go down to zero and it would look like 15.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Especially in a light ass two door. You could go down to zero and it would look like 15.
LOL - right! Back before big ass heavy JK's came around, that's all we had to wheel with. Super light TJ's, YJ's and CJ's. While beadlocks were around, most of us just made sure to run skinny wheels with wider tires and depending on the terrain we were in, we'd air down super low and so long as we weren't playing hard, it was never a problem. Certainly, none of us rolled a bead just driving across sand.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - and they just keep coming! Here's one that I just got from a Jt Williams. Apparently, I am a tool for showing other examples of what you can use to air down a tire.

Jt Williams.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And yet another. This one comes from a David Kanera. Apparently, everyone should have the right tires for every situation. LOL

David Kanera.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
comments are crazy, its like they don't watch the video to completion or they watch it without audio lol

Holy hell, ain't that the truth!!! Funny thing is, I kinda like the old school pen style tire pressure gauges only, these days, MOST of them are made out of plastic and the pin that pushes the schrader valve down ALWAYS breaks after the 2nd or 3rd time I use it
discount gives them away at their air check stall at the store, grab a couple next time.

What was he doing when it happened?
Donuts in the dunes, or at least that’s how we knock the beads off here in Michigan. Within 5 minutes someone will swing by with can of starting fluid if you don’t have your own lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom