The BEST Internet Expert Advice I've Been Given

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - got this one in today from a SpiegNet. Says he was always told that you shouldn't let your shocks be the limiting factor for suspension travel on our last install video. Of course, when pressed, he never answered the question but went on and on about other nonsense.

SpiegNet.png

GP NOIR

Hooked
Back in the day before the Internet, that was the conventional wisdom the better 4x4 shops went by. Petersen Publishing 4x4 magazines spilled a lot of ink on the subject. Shocks were not to be the limiting stop when the suspension drooped and should not be used as bump stops when the suspension was compressed. Doing so would damage the shocks. Getting shock length and suspension travel correctly matched often required a lot of creative finesse.

After the lift was installed (without shocks) the suspension was cycled and measurements were taken at full extension and full compression to see what shock could be safely used. Leaf spring suspensions were still common and the springs themselves limited downward travel. For coil spring suspensions, coil spring clamps or limiting straps were used.

It surprised me that shocks are being used to limit down travel, but it’s been years since my stint at a 4x4 shop and things have changed greatly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the day before the Internet, that was the conventional wisdom the better 4x4 shops went by. Petersen Publishing 4x4 magazines spilled a lot of ink on the subject. Shocks were not to be the limiting stop when the suspension drooped and should not be used as bump stops when the suspension was compressed. Doing so would damage the shocks. Getting shock length and suspension travel correctly matched often required a lot of creative finesse.

After the lift was installed (without shocks) the suspension was cycled and measurements were taken at full extension and full compression to see what shock could be safely used. Leaf spring suspensions were still common and the springs themselves limited downward travel. For coil spring suspensions, coil spring clamps or limiting straps were used.

It surprised me that shocks are being used to limit down travel, but it’s been years since my stint at a 4x4 shop and things have changed greatly.
LOL - now see, that's the legitimate answer I was looking for but knew that guy wouldn't be able to give it to me. That said, a LOT has changed since those early days of modifying rigs. Bump stops are still used to limit up travel but shocks are in fact what limit droop, even from the factory. Spring retainers haven't been used since the early days of the TJ almost 20 years ago. Without the shocks to do that, your coils would unseat all the time or fall out. But hey, what would I know.

GP NOIR

Hooked
LOL - now see, that's the legitimate answer I was looking for but knew that guy wouldn't be able to give it to me. That said, a LOT has changed since those early days of modifying rigs. Bump stops are still used to limit up travel but shocks are in fact what limit droop, even from the factory. Spring retainers haven't been used since the early days of the TJ almost 20 years ago. Without the shocks to do that, your coils would unseat all the time or fall out. But hey, what would I know.
That Guy is just parroting what he’d been told without any experience or even knowledge behind it. He’s not even cognizant enough to realize he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know, turning his avatar into pure irony.

Me, I’m still working from ignorance due to outdated information. For example, I recently learned there are exceptions to the Rules Of Death Wobbles when applied to JLs, and I’m still trying to work it out in my head.

I try to learn something new everyday. Discovering that it’s SOP to use shocks to limit down travel simplifies things.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Got this posted up from a guy named planesstrainsandautomobile2801. Apparently, I need to get a grip because I used my lift to help show how to install a lift and beginners wouldn't have one. Never mind the fact that I do show and explain how you would do it without a lift. Of course, if I didn't use my lift, he would have chimed in to say how stupid I was for not using it LOL

planesstrainsandautomobile2801.png

Got this posted up from a guy named planesstrainsandautomobile2801. Apparently, I need to get a grip because I used my lift to help show how to install a lift and beginners wouldn't have one. Never mind the fact that I do show and explain how you would do it without a lift. Of course, if I didn't use my lift, he would have chimed in to say how stupid I was for not using it LOL

View attachment 396144
Had he watched it he wouldn’t have comprehended what you said anyway.

WJCO

Meme King

View attachment 396144
What a dip shit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not so much of an expert but I thought I'd post this one up from drucifer3332 anyway because clearly, nothing you can say to a fanboy will get them to shut the fuck up about why what they chose to buy is the best thing since sliced bread and feel a need to make everyone agree with them.

For context, this was posted on the ORZ test drive video we made.

drucifer3332.png

Not so much of an expert but I thought I'd post this one up from drucifer3332 anyway because clearly, nothing you can say to a fanboy will get them to shut the fuck up about why what they chose to buy is the best thing since sliced bread and feel a need to make everyone agree with them.

View attachment 398380
Holy shit. This may be the first. An AEV fanboy complaining about price.
Usually those guys have an open checkbook.

Of course his stance would be completely reversed if the all mighty aev offered this

kevman65

Hooked
Ever since I've been on innerwebz mesg boards, forums, everyone seems to try too hard to justify what they bought. No matter what area is being discussed.

The current wave of "Influencers" ONLY endorse those that give them a free ride on products OR pay them to slap a sticker on their ride.
I'll watch their vidz, glean what USEFUL info I can, and make my own decisions.

What I like about your videos, you seem to give an HONEST review of the product, from install to road testing to off road testing. If you find something bad about the product, you vocalize it. You've done from budget to expensive on lifts. List the pros and cons of each lift. Even compared things across the cost spectrum and some of the budget stuff does as well as the high end stuff and you say so.

Yes, it's a given you receive products to test and do video reviews at no cost. It's cheap advertisement for the manufacturer and someone that can articulate in front of the camera without sounding like a stoned, zombie, robot is a plus when it comes to install and review vidz.

BUT, you could try wearing yoga pants once in a while...... 🤪

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ever since I've been on innerwebz mesg boards, forums, everyone seems to try too hard to justify what they bought. No matter what area is being discussed.

The current wave of "Influencers" ONLY endorse those that give them a free ride on products OR pay them to slap a sticker on their ride.
I'll watch their vidz, glean what USEFUL info I can, and make my own decisions.

What I like about your videos, you seem to give an HONEST review of the product, from install to road testing to off road testing. If you find something bad about the product, you vocalize it. You've done from budget to expensive on lifts. List the pros and cons of each lift. Even compared things across the cost spectrum and some of the budget stuff does as well as the high end stuff and you say so.

Yes, it's a given you receive products to test and do video reviews at no cost. It's cheap advertisement for the manufacturer and someone that can articulate in front of the camera without sounding like a stoned, zombie, robot is a plus when it comes to install and review vidz.

BUT, you could try wearing yoga pants once in a while...... 🤪
Well, I appreciate it. Fortunately, I'm at a point in my life where I really don't need "free" stuff. If I like or want something, I can afford to just buy it and in spite of what many choose to believe, I do and more times than not.

Also, you really wouldn't want to see me in yoga pants... I think :unsure: 🤪

kevman65

Hooked
We have have 4'x4' steel tables on 4" pipe legs at work for weld fabrication, I MIGHT get yelled at for bouncing pipe parts off of them :cool:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

View attachment 398380
Jesus. Yeah but…

Top Bottom