Tailgate adjustment for flex

Robo

So on my new JL sport, I recently swapped my stock sport wheels / tires for some rubicon takeoffs, but with the added weight of the spare my tailgate sags about 1/4” so I have to pull up on it to close the tailgate.

I know I don’t need the mopar tailgate reinforcement kit just to fit a stock rubicon spare, but what’s the best way to adjust the tailgate? Simply remove the spare and adjust the four torx bolts on the tailgate? since I’d have to remove the spare to access the two inner bolts, and since I wouldn’t have the weight of the spare when adjusting, maybe cheat it up a little? Just curious if anybody has adjusted the tailgate without adding a reinforcement kit.

Thanks in advance!

Robo

I’m thinking maybe the factory didn’t torque the bolts enough if this is supposed to be able to carry 33s…

Upvote 0

Robo

Upvote 0

Robo

Alright, I took the spare off and loosened the T55 torx bolts on the tailgate. While I had it slightly propped up, I torqued it back at 35 ft-lbs and closes about 90% better. The vertical alignment is corrected but I think the latch may need some minor adjustment still, but I can’t see any obvious misalignment. Anyways, it’s miles better than what is was.

Now I just have to get some touch-up paint for the area around the tailgate bracket. Since there’s no paint behind that hinge bracket, there’s a very thin line around it that shows what was previously hidden.

For anybody else messing with those bolts, it helps to gently tap in the T55 bit with a rubber mallet since the bolt head is painted.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom