Tail Light Electricial Short (it seems)

cinnur

Hello All,

I have aftermarket tail lights on my 2019 JL sport. I installed them over a year ago, and they have worked fine since then.
Recently I was driving in the evening and a friend stated my driver side rear was all white light. In an attempt to keep this short, I have replaced the light, no good.
I also swapped lights between the passenger and drivers side, and any light works on the passenger side but fails on the drivers side.
What I have found so far is that if I have the reverse light connected on the driver's side is that nothing works, just white light. If I disconnect the reverse wire all functions properly. I looked and so far no shorts that I can find, any suggestions on how to approach this problem and sort it out are much appreciated.

Have Fun,
Sean

cinnur

Hello jeeeep,

All turn signals, front and back work properly. The problem only happens when I have the reverse connection in place and I just turn on the lights, once this is done, that rear light goes white, and the directional and brake lights on that drivers rear don't work, that light stays white.
I disconnect the reverse wiring to the light, all works properly, obviously just no reverse light from that location.
For now I have just kept it disconnected till I feel like getting back into it further.

Thanks.

cinnur

Well this past week the tail light started to show more problems, other functions started to fail on the light. To keep this short, I took a meter, checked voltages and continuity and I determined that the plug itself I cut off the stock lamp was the source of the operational problems.
I got my hands on another stock lamp, removed the connector and attached it to the aftermarket light, and now everything is working perfectly.

Top Bottom