Stupidest Sh!t I've Heard in a LONG Time - Dealership Blames Royal Purple for Axle Damage

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just got the following email from a guy who said he put Royal Purple in his differential and now his 2020 JLU with 70,000 km is filled with metal shards. Or at least, that's what his dealership is telling him and because of the fluid, they aren't going to warranty the jacked up diff. Of course, the reason he used Royal Purple is because that's what I used in on our service video. :rolleyes:

The following message has been sent from Chris Duncan (IP: 209.52.88.49) via the contact form at WAYALIFE Jeep Forum.

Royal Purple Gear Oil​

Hey there,
I’ve just finished dealing with my dealership After dropping it off there thinking that it there is an issue with my front wheel bearings I have a 2020 JLU with 70,000 km on it.
When the diff oil was due to be changed I watched one of your videos where you recommended the royal purple oil. Well it turns out that the noise I was hearing was my front differential and that it was completely filled with metal shards and it is not going to be covered under warranty because of this royal purple oil which is not good for it they say I would suggest you don’t recommend people use this oils not the right viscosity and Mopar oil should be used.
I’m not looking at costly repairs to have a new diff installed because my warranty won’t cover it thanks to this Royal Purple Oil. Why are you advising people to use a product that does this. I would fix this so other people don’t end up in my shoes pursuant to advice.

Regards,
Chris Duncan

To be fair, he was "just trying to help" others by telling me not to recommend any other gear oil other than Mopar but really, this has got to be the stupidest shit I've heard in a very long time. But hey, that's just me.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - fucking sensitive people! :rolleyes:
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2022 5:30 PM
To: webmaster@wayalife.com
Subject: Re: Royal Purple Gear Oil (from WAYALIFE Jeep Forum)

Well why is my jeep fucked from using this oil?

What an ignorant response! I’m unsubscribing from your channel and spreading the word you’re a jackass.

Kind regards,
Chris Duncan | Director
Priority Freelance Legal Services Ltd.

My response to him...
Allow me to clarify, my comment wasn’t directed toward you but rather, your dealership. Gear oil WILL NOT fuck up a differential. Water inside the diff will. Playing too hard will. Gears that aren’t setup right will and this can happen right from the factory. And really, of all the axles to get fucked up, your front axle? Please! The damn thing isn’t even spinning 95% of the time on a JL thanks to the FAD. So really, your dealership is just blaming the oil so that they don’t have to warranty the work. In the over 25 years that I have been working on Jeeps, I have NEVER seen a front end get ruined from oil. Hell, I have seen front axles run without ANY oil for an extended period of time and without too much damage due to the fact that here is NO LOAD on them when in 2WD. But again, on a JL, the FAD stops ANY spinning.

Regards,
Eddie

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the big oil companies will defend themselves when dealerships/mechanics start blaming mechanical failure on their product. Dude should have called RP instead...
I couldn't agree with you more. This pansy just got all butthurt because I told him his dealership was full of it. What in the actual fuck?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What a retard. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you could run vegetable oil in a diff with no issues. It's just a fucking gearbox. Dealer is trying to make a buck.
I bet you're right, ESPECIALLY on a JL with an FAD where NOTHING is spinning for normal driving. Fuck the dealership.

Top Bottom