STEERING PROBLEM

Whiskey_Wheeling

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
3.5in Lift
33” Tires
New tie rod and tie rod ends and Drag link
Dual steering stabilizer
New Steering Gear and power steering pump
My issue is my steering was vary tight and would not return to center, I installed control arm correction brackets and got my caster to around 4. Loosened up the steering but did not fix the return to center. Was looking at my steering box adjustment screw and noticed that the top of the screw was flush with the top of the lock nut. Videos I’ve watched on YouTube never showed the screw that low before, so I loosened the screw 1/4 of a turn and took for a test drive. Ended up loosening it to 3/4 of a turn and never returned to center. Any thoughts of if the screw is supposed to be that low and what my issue could be?
Thanks,
@Whiskey_Wheeling

wjtstudios

Hooked
Both, start there. Try to stay isolating it by the components. A properly set up jeep can run with out a stabilizer

BlackKnight

I just went through an issue with a lot of slack in my steering. The best advice was to go under the front and have someone turn the steering back and forth and look for the component that is moving when it shouldn't. It let me quickly figure out the issue on mine..

Whiskey_Wheeling

I
I just went through an issue with a lot of slack in my steering. The best advice was to go under the front and have someone turn the steering back and forth and look for the component that is moving when it shouldn't. It let me quickly figure out the issue on mine..
what did you find was your problem

BlackKnight

I

what did you find was your problem
Mine was because I did a Drag Link Flip kit, and the Mechanic drilled out the Nuckle but didn't press in the sleeve. So the end of the drag link had like 1/2" of play which is a significant amount at the steering wheel (Almost a 1/4 turn of the Steering Wheel of play)

MericaMade

Mine was because I did a Drag Link Flip kit, and the Mechanic drilled out the Nuckle but didn't press in the sleeve. So the end of the drag link had like 1/2" of play which is a significant amount at the steering wheel (Almost a 1/4 turn of the Steering Wheel of play)
Unreal....glad you found the problem.

Yeah good catch! That makes a lot of sense and I imagine many people have or have had that same problem.

MostlyStockJK

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
3.5in Lift
33” Tires
New tie rod and tie rod ends and Drag link
Dual steering stabilizer
New Steering Gear and power steering pump
My issue is my steering was vary tight and would not return to center, I installed control arm correction brackets and got my caster to around 4. Loosened up the steering but did not fix the return to center. Was looking at my steering box adjustment screw and noticed that the top of the screw was flush with the top of the lock nut. Videos I’ve watched on YouTube never showed the screw that low before, so I loosened the screw 1/4 of a turn and took for a test drive. Ended up loosening it to 3/4 of a turn and never returned to center. Any thoughts of if the screw is supposed to be that low and what my issue could be?
Thanks,
@Whiskey_Wheeling
How long ago did the issue start?

Could this be an alignment issue? It's bit of a shot in the dark, but it sounds like you just replaced all of your tie rod ends. If the toe is slightly out, maybe that could affect the steering feel and whether it returns to center.

Did you get an alignment (or do your own) after installing all of the new steering components?

Top Bottom