Steel bumpers - Auto Accident

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Found this on the web and wanted to confirm if it was true:

"The airbags in the JK work off of an accelerometer that is located in the center of the vehicle under the center console. Specificaly the sensor works in conjunction with a yaw/pitch/roll sensor (same function as a gyroscope) that is co located. If the deceleration and pitch, roll or yaw of the vehicle hit certain thresholds the specific airbags and the seat belt pre-tensioning charge are deployed as needed. There are no "contact" style sensors located on the vehicle, it is all based on the two sensors located centrally. The pitch, roll, yaw sensor also feeds into the stability program. The perpose of the bumpers in stock form is to deform over a given time (remeber we are talking 10thousandths of a second here) slowing the deceleration of the vehicle, in conjunction with the frame relief (crumple zones). By spreading the force of the impact over a few thousands of a second and a few inches of crumple space you can realisticaly reduce the peak G's in an accident by a factor of 10. Aftermarket bumpersin theory (with there overall lack of deformation) would cause your airbag to be more likley to go off than the stock set-up, but there are so many factors that feed the equation it is really hard pinpoint how much more likley it would be. Example (basic as it may be, numbers are simply used for illistration): If the airbag deploys in a frontal colision when the sensor detects 800 peak G: Hitting an imovable object at 15mph with the factory set up may only generate 750 peak G While hitting the same imovable object with an aftermarket (non deforming) bumper at 15mph may generate 1100 G In this case the aftermarket bumper would cause your airbag to deploy where as the factory set up would not because the factory set up deformed to absorb the force of the impact."

If it is correct does this mean that front and rear steel bumpers are more or less safe in an accident?

StrizzyChris

Yes...bumpers have no role in the airbag system or its deployment. The only thing you'll have by installing a quality steel bumper , is more rigidity to protect you and your jeep from damage

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I am by no means an expert, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so here goes my opinion.

The stock bumper crush cans are designed to crumple and reduce the speed of the impact, but I personally don't feel they offer very much reduction to a significant impact. The plastic part i feel offers even less reduction by a significant amount. Vehicles are generally designed to crumple and break away on impact (like the engine and tranny dropping under the cabin).

With the "solid" frame design of the jk, i feel safe enough with my solid bumbers. I think it will crumple nearly the same as stock. I think we would see enough lawsuits to stop aftermarket bumpers sales if there were large safety differences.

Of course then there is the keys that somehow turn themselves off by magic, rendering drivers absolutely incapable of any type of ability to drive and therefore crash. Well that is that story anyway.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Funny in my accident my air bags never deployed but the impact was enough to knock my engine off its mounts. Hmmmm

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Thank you all for the replies. This thread was sparked by a near miss on the highway and my wife literally demanding we get new front and rear bumpers. I wasnt planning on getting them untill much later but it looks like Ill be spending all of my tax return lol!

Top Bottom