Stealing a Day or Two to Explore Some of the Most Remote Parts of Nevada

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your adventures!
Glad you enjoyed it :)
I'm driving down to meet up with my wife in Vegas and then wheeling a few days. Was trying to figure out which route to take down. When we went down for the NY run we went through Tonopah. If you have a suggestion I am all ears.
Well, since you've already been down the 95, I might recommend taking a slight detour at Tonopah and head east along US 6. From there, take NV 375 which is the Extraterrestrial Hwy and that'll hook you up to US 93. Head south and you'll get to Vegas from the east on I 15. It's just a really remote drive and one where you can literally stop in the middle of the highway, get out of your Jeep, take pics and take your time doing all that and still not see anyone.
Gonna have to “hire you” as tour guide for a trip out that way at some point.
LOL - I'm flattered that you'd think I'd be worth paying for.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was talking with Ray and he said that the gold mine that produced $42k in 1930 would be equivalent to $666,157.72 today.
That's amazing!
Thanks for sharing these pics!I love these ghost towns and their history.I find all the springs especially interesting.There is a lot of underground water underneath Nevada apparently and some interesting legends and stories about it.
Oh yeah, tons of water if you know where to look for it. The legends are very interesting too.

jeeeep

Hooked
how awesome! I use to enjoy following those old ghost town roads along the Utah and Nevada border.
It's pretty amazing how many areas there are.
The wild horses are awesome to see but scary as shit when the lead turns on you lol
looking forward to more of these (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
how awesome! I use to enjoy following those old ghost town roads along the Utah and Nevada border.
It's pretty amazing how many areas there are.
The wild horses are awesome to see but scary as shit when the lead turns on you lol
looking forward to more of these (y)
Oh yeah, the stallions are fierce.

Rickf

With at least 50 miles left to cover before reaching the closest town, it was time to get rolling again. But, I have to say that it was hard to leave such a desolate and beautiful place.
20210308155424-c803505c-me.jpg

Up and over one of the last big mountain ranges we needed to cross, we found ourselves at yet another small ghost town that was established in 1904.
20210308155448-cab6b387-me.jpg

Towns like this were sprang up like weeds as a result of the growth in Tonopah and Goldfield but died just as quickly. By 1908, this one was all but dead.
20210308155428-3cb6a088-me.jpg

While new mergers and ventures in the surrounding area kept miners digging for a bit longer, mining pretty much ceased by 1927.
20210308155440-60db2d1f-me.jpg

As a parting shot from our 2 day expedition across some of the most remote regions of Nevada, I present you the wild spirit that still lives on in this amazing place.
20210308181027-90ed93cc-me.jpg

I hope you enjoyed following us on our adventures. :)
I want to know how you find these places.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I want to know how you find these places.
I like to read old books that talk about them. That gets me wanting to find and visit what's left of them. A lot of them are located on old paper maps. They're pretty easy to find once you can located them.

Top Bottom