Spontaneous Combustion RECALL!

TheDuff

Well, debris may have been the cause of a couple fires, but what a bout the lack of a trans cooler on 3.8s with an automatic? I've heard of several case of an overheating trans causing atf to boil over out of the fill tube, right on to the exhaust manifold.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Moochie

My 3.8 had a trans fluid cooler. The cooler was located at the bottom of the AC condenser. There was a safety update in 2009 that added the "hot oil" warning to the message display. This was to let you know that your fluid was getting to hot. Also generated a stored code that the dealership could use to fight a warranty repair.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard of several case of an overheating trans causing atf to boil over out of the fill tube, right on to the exhaust manifold.

Oh, I'm almost certain that this is what caused most of the fires. Hell, I've seen it happen to Trail Bud and thankfully, we caught it just in the nick of time.

TheDuff

My 3.8 had a trans fluid cooler. The cooler was located at the bottom of the AC condenser. There was a safety update in 2009 that added the "hot oil" warning to the message display. This was to let you know that your fluid was getting to hot. Also generated a stored code that the dealership could use to fight a warranty repair.

Your correct Moochie, there was a fluid cooler on mine as well. so I'll clarify, I meant a actual finned radiator style cooler dedicated to the transmission. The 2012s and up come with a dedicated radiator style cooler and of course you can buy this kit and retro fit it to any prior year jk.... at around $600 for the kit from the dealer. They really should be doing this as a recall OR not voiding transmission warranties of those who buy and install an aftermarket cooler. Just my opinion:)

Moochie

Your correct Moochie, there was a fluid cooler on mine as well. so I'll clarify, I meant a actual finned radiator style cooler dedicated to the transmission. The 2012s and up come with a dedicated radiator style cooler and of course you can buy this kit and retro fit it to any prior year jk.... at around $600 for the kit from the dealer. They really should be doing this as a recall OR not voiding transmission warranties of those who buy and install an aftermarket cooler. Just my opinion:)

Yes, some people added extra cooling capacity. I never did and only one time in 4 years did my hot oil light ever come on. This, when on dirt and climbing a steep grade. I always made sure I was in a low enough gear to keep my RPM's close to 2500 - 3000. Sometimes 4 lo was needed to accomplish this. Lugging the engine, climbing a grade, is a sure way to cook your fluid.

Brankz

So if I go to the dealer, they will install 1 for free?

If not how much is one? And who can help installed?

Moochie

So if I go to the dealer, they will install 1 for free?

If not how much is one? And who can help installed?

Do you have a problem with your transmission fluid getting to hot? Adding a extra cooler can cause problems with your warranty if you still have have one. It gives Chrysler an excuse to not pay for a new transmission.

JKFlyer

So I have a 2010 3.8 auto. I have super chips trail dash so I was constantly aware of my tft. Was running around 200-240 and getting warnings.....got a trans cooler and brought it to 140-175. Once I regeared ( I have 35s throughout this example), I dr0pped to 110-140. High number is after driving local...stop n go... for 30-60 mins

Hope this helps

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Moochie

I have no idea what my trans temperature was. Never had any issues with the transmission up to 83,000 miles on the odometer. My engine failed me and now I have a GM 6L80 transmission. 5000 miles with OEM 32" tires, 40,000 with 35's and 38,000 with 37's up to engine and tranny replacement.

Brankz

Do you have a problem with your transmission fluid getting to hot? Adding a extra cooler can cause problems with your warranty if you still have have one. It gives Chrysler an excuse to not pay for a new transmission.

I don't have a cooler :( <\3

But I don't want my rig to burn to the ground lol

Moochie

Because it's a 08 and I can't see it.
The cooler is I front of the radiator correct?

In front of your radiator is your AC condenser. Do you have air conditioning? The bottom section of the AC condenser is the transmission cooler.

Top Bottom