So whats the difference?

FuriousDz

I see a bunch of guys in my area throwing turbos on their JK's instead of re-gearing to get back some of the tourque they lost from adding big tires.

So my question is, is there a difference in getting back your torque through re-gearing vs adding a turbo?
To me re-gearing feels the right way to go if you're going to wheel it on the rocks.

I feel that adding the turbo while giving you more power is equivalent to a person on a 10-speed just being able to pedal faster in a higher gear rather than using less effort(revolutions) to turn a lower gear.

Is that a correct assumption or am I thinking about it wrong?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A Factory gear ratio is used for factory size tires. When you upgrade to bigger tires, accommodating them with an appropriate ratio is what should be done. Adding a turbo or supercharger will only make your engine work harder than it needs to.

FuriousDz

A Factory gear ratio is used for factory size tires. When you upgrade to bigger tires, accommodating them with an appropriate ratio is what should be done. Adding a turbo or supercharger will only make your engine work harder than it needs to.

Thanks, thats what I thought. So my guy on the 10-speed analogy is correct :D

StrizzyChris

Yeah, regearing is the way to go....but of the two options(supercharger vs turbo) i would 10 times out of 10 say go turbo. Its much safer on your engine, and places it under less of an "artificial" strain. It feeds the engine rather than just demanding performance out of a starving horse!

FuriousDz

Thats what I thought but wanted to make sure how I was thinking about was right.

I honestly dont have any interest in a turbo for my needs. Cant wait to see the difference off road going from 3.73 to 5.13 though.

Metalmasher

StrizzyChris said:
Yeah, regearing is the way to go....but of the two options(supercharger vs turbo) i would 10 times out of 10 say go turbo. Its much safer on your engine, and places it under less of an "artificial" strain. It feeds the engine rather than just demanding performance out of a starving horse!

My jeep is supercharged, it has been an extreme processes the people who sell the supercharges don't even know what the have sold you ( at least on average basis ) I was one of the lucky ones that happened to have a friend that races road and track cars that are supercharged once we had the air fuel mixture set with over sized injectors and an extra back pressure valve, set with a new program to tell the stock computer that the engine wasn't starving for fuel and on top of that reworked the fuel mapping system( after market) to pull smooth through the power and that only took three months! And I got a whopping 352 horse power on the dyno! Supercharges are a good way to go if you have a motor geniuses lurking around your local coffee shop! You will want to re gear to fit your tire size, weather you run a supercharger or turbo not only will it work you motor harder but you transmission is going to get the blunt end of the work putting extra stress on the trans! For the record I believe supercharges and blowers push air into the motor and a turbo build back pressure and suck the air out of motor. I had really good luck with 513 gears running 37" tires, felt like the motor and trans worked well for me at that gearing but I also live a 6000 ' above sea level witch makes a difference on horse power. Good luck

FuriousDz

Ive had cars with turbos but never ran a supercharger. My understanding is superchargers force outside air in and turbos use the exhaust. Also I thought superchargers had power across the entire rpm range where as turbos need to build boost before you can use that power.

bl17z90

Ive had cars with turbos but never ran a supercharger. My understanding is superchargers force outside air in and turbos use the exhaust. Also I thought superchargers had power across the entire rpm range where as turbos need to build boost before you can use that power.

An easy way to understand it is that a super charger is for getting yourself going and a turbo will get you going even faster once you actually start moving

So an a comparison

Ford Mustang (to my knowledge) has no turbo kit offered (atleast not from ford) and thats because its a drag car

The Nissan 350/370 Z always gets a turbo and thats because its more of a track car.

Top Bottom