Sidewalls

resqd1

Alright lost two sidewalls on trail grappler 37s on the Dusy past weekend. So YAY I get to spend a grip and get new tires. Never blown a sidewall and was under the impression Trail Grapplers were very highly rated. Anyone have any technical data that suppprts who has the toughest sidewall when aired down for off road?

resqd1

@Mike Pierson my sentiment exactly. One was bad enough. But the second left us stranded a long way out. Hence me trying to find the best sidewall tire now before buying. I have also emailed Nitto as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Trail Grapplers are load range C or at least, in their 37's. If you want a tire that has strong sidewalls, you really want to be running D or E. Toyo MT's are E and I have always found them to have one of the most bullet proof sidewalls around. Of course, the downside to strong sidewalls is that your daily driving ride will be firmer/rougher. Also, while Toyo MT's are a great all around tire, I have found Trail Grapplers to hook up better on the rocks.

resqd1

Trail Grapplers are load range C or at least, in their 37's. If you want a tire that has strong sidewalls, you really want to be running D or E. Toyo MT's are E and I have always found them to have one of the most bullet proof sidewalls around. Of course, the downside to strong sidewalls is that your daily driving ride will be firmer/rougher. Also, while Toyo MT's are a great all around tire, I have found Trail Grapplers to hook up better on the rocks.
Yeah I have been very happy with road feel and hooking up of the TG. So trying to find out if this is a fluke or a reason to not go back to TG

Brute

Hooked
How did the Dusy look?…when I ran it two years ago, the trail burned down a couple days after we got off…

JimLee

Hooked
Yeah I have been very happy with road feel and hooking up of the TG. So trying to find out if this is a fluke or a reason to not go back to TG
Age matters with tires, the compound starts deteriorating and drying out as soon as they are produced. Those tires looked old and a bit dry rotted from the pics. Just something to think about.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sidewall failures happen especially on Load Range C tires. I have seen it and have personally experienced it on just about every tire I've run, regardless of make. Well, except for 37" Toyo MT's.

Last edited:

resqd1

How did the Dusy look?…when I ran it two years ago, the trail burned down a couple days after we got off…
I was first in on that fire… no relief for 80 hours… fire never got to Dusy.
That being said my buddy said the trail is much harder now. Pretty torn up from users. Lots of big rock and holes etc. the old rating of 33s and a locker seem to be a far stretch. Sure it could be done but lots of rock bashing for sure. Lots of clearance issues too.

resqd1

Age matters with tires, the compound starts deteriorating and drying out as soon as they are produced. Those tires looked old and a bit dry rotted from the pics. Just something to think about.
Thanks that is why I am posting about it. Trying to figure if I go back to them. Much appreciated

Brute

Hooked
Good to hear the Dusy didn’t burn down. The trail is more dug out from the time I ran a couple years earlier than the last time…especially Thomason’s Hill

JimLee

Hooked
I was first in on that fire… no relief for 80 hours… fire never got to Dusy.
That being said my buddy said the trail is much harder now. Pretty torn up from users. Lots of big rock and holes etc. the old rating of 33s and a locker seem to be a far stretch. Sure it could be done but lots of rock bashing for sure. Lots of clearance issues too.
Sounds like you are a firefighter, thanks for what you do!

resqd1

Good to hear the Dusy didn’t burn down. The trail is more dug out from the time I ran a couple years earlier than the last time…especially Thomason’s Hill
Yeah Thompson and White Bark have multiple lines in places because of some serious dig out.
You weren’t the brute that a TJ rear ended that weekend 2 years ago were you?

Brute

Hooked
Yeah Thompson and White Bark have multiple lines in places because of some serious dig out.
You weren’t the brute that a TJ rear ended that weekend 2 years ago were you?
Yup…new bumper since…and it was a manual JL that jumped out of gear…30 seconds prior I walked between both jeeps…

Top Bottom