Sell and Upgrade or Ride Her Into the Sunset? Help Me Decide!

Hack12

Lately I've been mulling over the idea of upgrading my 2008 Sahara JKU to a newer model (Pentastar) Rubicon JKU. My Sahara has about 72K miles on it and runs great. I know eventually I will be upgrading to a later model Rubi, but I'm just not sure when the best time would be. FYI, I still currently owe about $15k on the Sahara. I'm also kind of hesitant because of the amount of work/cash I've put into my '08. I've got about $12k in aftermarket parts into it. While I know that's pennies compared to what some of you guys have spent, it's still quite a bit of time and money. I'm at the point where I'm unsure of how much more money I should dump into this rig? If you guys think I could make more of a profit selling now then I would definitely consider not waiting. It'd be nice to have something to put towards starting the mods on a new rig.

Basically, I just want everyone's two cents. :twocents:

Would I maximize my profits selling it now? If so, should I leave it as is and try to find a private buyer or strip it down as much as possible and trade it in?

Buying a new/newer Rubi would allow me to apply the knowledge I've obtained from my past experience and build it up right the way I've always been hesitant to build this one. Bigger and better. None of this is pressing by any means and, as I mentioned, I do love my rig and would be perfectly happy keeping it until it's rusted and old. I'm just thinking out loud and wondering what everyone else here thinks.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Judging by your profile everything you have can be taken off. If it were me it would depend on how much they give me for the '08 in stock form.

Hack12

Judging by your profile everything you have can be taken off. If it were me it would depend on how much they give me for the '08 in stock form.

Yeah, you're absolutely right about that. I've sold quite a few of my factory take-offs (i.e. wheels, tires, hardtop, suspension), but I would certainly be able to salvage the majority of the aftermarket parts I have.

loscann48

I have stock springs (the fronts you gave me, and my old rears 16/57s) and black shocks with 50k for you if you decide to go that route. May have a cut stock bumper for in you in a month or two as well. Honestly though, I think I would wait and pay off your current set up. Then take what was your payments and out that directly into an jeep upgrade fund. Unless of course you find a killer deal on exactly what you want.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hack12

I have stock springs (the fronts you gave me, and my old rears 16/57s) and black shocks with 50k for you if you decide to go that route. May have a cut stock bumper for in you in a month or two as well. Honestly though, I think I would wait and pay off your current set up. Then take what was your payments and out that directly into an jeep upgrade fund. Unless of course you find a killer deal on exactly what you want.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, I see your point. After looking into KBB trade-in values it doesn't seem like I would profit enough to make selling it now truly worthwhile. I think the smarter move would be to pay a little extra on the principal each month and get this bad boy payed off as soon as possible. That will give me a lot more options and a lot more cash to begin a new build with.

GCM 2

For me....

.....The answer is clear, I would keep my EVOJEEP and continue to go above and beyond. I'm too far into modifying to undo and upgrade to a newer model. I would just have to purchase outright another new vehicle. However for you, it looks like you could do as OverlanderJK stated and reverse your build if the dealer would give you a decent trade in.... Or maybe get a decent trade in with the modifications you already have? Bottom line, it would depend on how much you really want that new interior and better motor (?jury is still out on the pentastar?). Tough decision brother!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
.....The answer is clear, I would keep my EVOJEEP and continue to go above and beyond. I'm too far into modifying to undo and upgrade to a newer model. I would just have to purchase outright another new vehicle. However for you, it looks like you could do as OverlanderJK stated and reverse your build if the dealer would give you a decent trade in.... Or maybe get a decent trade in with the modifications you already have? Bottom line, it would depend on how much you really want that new interior and better motor (?jury is still out on the pentastar?). Tough decision brother!

Trade EVOJEEP for snorkels?

JKFlyer

Hack...why don't u list on private market for a higher price.....auto trader, eBay motors....see what happens. Obviouly dealer wont hook you up for all upgrades but private market may. U can always back out

NOTE - and this has happened to me in past.....once u list it and check out emotionally, that may be it....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

thetrifakta

I hear where you're at Hack12, I've been thinking the same thing about my rig. Big difference with me is that I don't have the mods you do. I'm at 60k, basically stock and around the same pay-off on my '08. Do I go ahead with mods and spend the money on an "aging" jeep or wait a year and get that new/newer white JKUR I've been wanting, not for the engine but for the low mile clean slate!?

Hack12

I hear where you're at Hack12, I've been thinking the same thing about my rig. Big difference with me is that I don't have the mods you do. I'm at 60k, basically stock and around the same pay-off on my '08. Do I go ahead with mods and spend the money on an "aging" jeep or wait a year and get that new/newer white JKUR I've been wanting, not for the engine but for the low mile clean slate!?

Exactly my thought process too! First world problems I suppose. :)

Top Bottom