RUBICON CLOSED due to Caldor Fire

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn, just saw in the local news that the Caldor Fire has exploded to 53,772 acres and that has prompted an emergency closer of the Eldorado National Forest. This will be from now thru September 30th. Of course, the Rubicon Trail is located in this forest and the fire is close to it.

CALDOR.jpg

benatc1

Hooked
Oh bummer, not that I was headed up there or anything but that's such a beautiful area, will be a shame if it gets burnt though.

CalSgt

Hooked
Hopefully they do better with that one than they are with the Dixie fire, a few more of these big fires & there will be nothing left of the northern Sierras

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully they do better with that one than they are with the Dixie fire, a few more of these big fires & there will be nothing left of the northern Sierras
At this rate, I think you're right. Decades of fire suppression and no logging have done wonders. One way or another, it's all going away now.

Brute

Hooked
Couple of guys and gals from here just finished the trail a few days ago…reminds me of running the Dusy last Sept getting off the trail two days before the Creek fire burned everything down

CalSgt

Hooked
caltopo.com is a great resource for looking at current fire situations, here's a snip of Dixie, Tamarack and Caldor fires that is fairly up to date
dixie.jpg

CalSgt

Hooked
At this rate, I think you're right. Decades of fire suppression and no logging have done wonders. One way or another, it's all going away now.
Yeah but at least we are not compacting the soil, causing erosion, and impacting the spotted owl with our evil logging and controlled burns :rolleyes:

If we can all just do our part by going out and raking the forest we will be fine.

In the past year, the liberal media have learned that the indigenous peoples would periodically burn the forest they were living in to prevent larger fires in the future. They were masters of planned fires and fire control. This was recently learned from elders in California (passed down by word of mouth through many generation) but we now know that almost all tribes were masters of their world and able to accomplish what we still can not do today.

Was just about to PM you that we are obviously going to have to cancel our trip for next week. Hope things get squared away and people are able to get out. Super sad.

jeeeep

Hooked
Yeah but at least we are not compacting the soil, causing erosion, and impacting the spotted owl with our evil logging and controlled burns :rolleyes:
spotted owl? are there any left after being roasted by all the fires? I do hear they taste like chicken and BBQ hides the really well done taste...

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
This really sucks. I was planning on being up there on the 27th.
I really hope they get a handle on this. There is so much fuel in that area that things can go sideways very quickly.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah it went from nice in the valley to nasty quick. This is on the drive home now and air quality out by my house
0CA6FBE0-D30E-4CFA-A448-8B7B37C80A97.jpeg
A1309C64-4C9D-4D8E-B4EC-2D59BF50273E.png

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How does having that much smoke and particulates in the air affect your indoor air? Is is smoky smelling inside & does it show up in your AC air filters?

PS: That your actual street address? Might get some fan mail if it is 😂
No smell in the house really unless the smoke is really really bad which isn’t often. Doesn’t even really smell like smoke in the garage. Yesterday was super hazy but I couldn’t smell any smoke.

And no, do you think I’m that stupid? It’s just the location of the air quality gauge.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How does having that much smoke and particulates in the air affect your indoor air? Is is smoky smelling inside & does it show up in your AC air filters?

PS: That your actual street address? Might get some fan mail if it is 😂
Can't speak for overlander but we don't have AC as it's just not needed. We do have a swamp cooler but it doesn't do much to filter out the smoke and when it's this smokey out, our whole house smells like a chimney.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No smell in the house really unless the smoke is really really bad which isn’t often. Doesn’t even really smell like smoke in the garage. Yesterday was super hazy but I couldn’t smell any smoke.

And no, do you think I’m that stupid? It’s just the location of the air quality gauge.
The winds finally changed in your direction and so it's pretty clear out here for us today!

Top Bottom