Rubicon 392 with a full time transfer case and cv joints in the front?

jorgelrod

Hooked
Was looking at a couple of videos from people out in moab, it looks like Jeep decided to save the stock axles from all the torque on the 392 by using the grand cherokee t-case and cv axles in the front. I'm stoked that jeep did a 392 jeep but these two things I'm not super convinced I would want them on a jeep I want wheel, specially the CVs. I had a WJ and I had to be constantly changing boots on it when I wheeled it.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, your concerns are legit and so is Jeep's. In order to bring you all that power, there are things they needed to do to keep people from destroying everything. In stock for and maybe even slightly bigger tires, I think you'd be fine with everything as is. But, pushing a set of 40's or bigger, kinda what you really want a 392 for... I kinda think you're gonna need to be throwing in a lot more money into that Jeep to make it all work. Maybe another $20k or so.

A.J.

I’m sure RCV will make some indestructible axle shafts for them. Just a little clicks but it’s fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’m sure RCV will make some indestructible axle shafts for them. Just a little clicks but it’s fine.
LOL - nothing is indestructible and I've seen my fair share of RCV's that have broken at the splines. But, even if they could make something that strong, there's no way the ring and pinion would survive. This is to say nothing about the drive shafts and maybe even the transfer case. Also, not sure what you mean about little click - LOUD snapping and popping is what I'm more familiar with but of course, RCV says that's totally normal :ROFLMAO:

Brute

Hooked
Yup, your concerns are legit and so is Jeep's. In order to bring you all that power, there are things they needed to do to keep people from destroying everything. In stock for and maybe even slightly bigger tires, I think you'd be fine with everything as is. But, pushing a set of 40's or bigger, kinda what you really want a 392 for... I kinda think you're gonna need to be throwing in a lot more money into that Jeep to make it all work. Maybe another $20k or so.
D60's, 1350 drivelines, Atlas 2 speed, DTD's front and rear...and 40's...works for me...

J&k_Overland

These are the items that are giving me a major pause on ordering one. Lot of money for something that’s ehhh okay.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
These are the items that are giving me a major pause on ordering one. Lot of money for something that’s ehhh okay.
It's tough. Cindy and I were just about to pull the trigger on one but then, we started doing the math. The biggest reason to go V8 is to play with big tires. In order to get big tires under a Jeep, you really need components that can handle them. What comes on the 392 ain't them. After you add in the cost of all that you really need, you're looking at a $120k Jeep. At this point and time, I could get my current JL running a 392 for less than starting all over again.

J&k_Overland

It's tough. Cindy and I were just about to pull the trigger on one but then, we started doing the math. The biggest reason to go V8 is to play with big tires. In order to get big tires under a Jeep, you really need components that can handle them. What comes on the 392 ain't them. After you add in the cost of all that you really need, you're looking at a $120k Jeep. At this point and time, I could get my current JL running a 392 for less than starting all over again.
Very true. I’ve been doing the math and it would be close to the same money to start with a sport model add the motor and axles aftermarket and end up with a better Jeep. The plus for the 392 is financing that 35-40k motor into the purchase price. It would also have a better resale value being factory built 392.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very true. I’ve been doing the math and it would be close to the same money to start with a sport model add the motor and axles aftermarket and end up with a better Jeep. The plus for the 392 is financing that 35-40k motor into the purchase price. It would also have a better resale value being factory built 392.
Yup, being able to finance a 392 is nice but... how do you finance a set of 1-tons, drive shafts, transfer case, wheels and tires, suspension system and anything else you might want on it. That's easily $40k or more. As far as resale goes, a $100k+ Jeep is like a boat or RV. There is no way it'll hold it's value and the only reason to buy it is to enjoy it yourself. I guarantee you that any guy who can drop $50k or more on a USED Jeep is also the kind of guy that would prefer to spend twice as much and make the Jeep exactly how he wants.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To be clear, I still love the 392 but if only because it should be bug free and right from the showroom floor. As in, it shouldn't overheat, it shouldn't have any computer issues and it's something that I can take to my dealership for service. That is a HUGE plus and almost enough to make me still want one.

Ddays

Hooked
To be clear, I still love the 392 but if only because it should be bug free and right from the showroom floor. As in, it shouldn't overheat, it shouldn't have any computer issues and it's something that I can take to my dealership for service. That is a HUGE plus and almost enough to make me still want one.

These reasons were why I got on the list for one of these at my local dealer. But the other reasons mentioned above were why I later pulled out. It's just too much money as a starting point for me when it would be more cost effective to build your own if you're after the V8 & 40's.

Brute

Hooked
These reasons were why I got on the list for one of these at my local dealer. But the other reasons mentioned above were why I later pulled out. It's just too much money as a starting point for me when it would be more cost effective to build your own if you're after the V8 & 40's.
You’re just trying to avoid a burnout...

J&k_Overland

Yup, being able to finance a 392 is nice but... how do you finance a set of 1-tons, drive shafts, transfer case, wheels and tires, suspension system and anything else you might want on it. That's easily $40k or more. As far as resale goes, a $100k+ Jeep is like a boat or RV. There is no way it'll hold it's value and the only reason to buy it is to enjoy it yourself. I guarantee you that any guy who can drop $50k or more on a USED Jeep is also the kind of guy that would prefer to spend twice as much and make the Jeep exactly how he wants.
From my perspective and this is souly mine a 20k check for axles is easier to write than a 40k one for a engine. But cruising the YouTube shows it’s not too hard to shove a 392 into a Jeep these days. Was watching that show grave yard cars the other day and back In The day the Dana 60 was option on the muscle cars These are the options Jeep should have now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming you have your Jeep paid off, it's way more cost effective to drop a V8 in what you have now. And what you have now is a nicely built Jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From my perspective and this is souly mine a 20k check for axles is easier to write than a 40k one for a engine. But cruising the YouTube shows it’s not too hard to shove a 392 into a Jeep these days. Was watching that show grave yard cars the other day and back In The day the Dana 60 was option on the muscle cars These are the options Jeep should have now.
Not sure where you got the $40k for an engine from. Shouldn't cost more than $25k... $30k MAX and that's with a brand new crate LT and transmission. We've done it for a LOT less using an LS out of a wrecked Denali with only 11k on it. The motor AND trans was only $5k. The kit and labor is more of course but not $35k worth.

Again, if you already have a paid off Jeep with a nice suspension system, bumpers, armor and maybe even 1-tons, adding in an engine is WAY MORE cost effective than starting over again.

J&k_Overland

Not sure where you got the $40k for an engine from. Shouldn't cost more than $25k... $30k MAX and that's with a brand new crate LT and transmission. We've done it for a LOT less using an LS out of a wrecked Denali with only 11k on it. The motor AND trans was only $5k. The kit and labor is more of course but not $35k worth.

Again, if you already have a paid off Jeep with a nice suspension system, bumpers, armor and maybe even 1-tons, adding in an engine is WAY MORE cost effective than starting over again.
Think exodus was saying 35 ish fir the 392 then incidentals. Fir sure salvage yard motors are a way to save money and I’ve looked into those too This is all hypothetical of course just examine options. Although my YJ may be getting a LS soon.

Ddays

Hooked
Assuming you have your Jeep paid off, it's way more cost effective to drop a V8 in what you have now. And what you have now is a nicely built Jeep.
Thanks! Yeah, if I was ever going to do a V8 swap I honestly think I'd start with another Jeep. I learned so much here and also by making mistakes that the second time would be a breeze! Ha, it'd probably cost half of what I spent on the Gruff. :sick:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Think exodus was saying 35 ish fir the 392 then incidentals. Fir sure salvage yard motors are a way to save money and I’ve looked into those too This is all hypothetical of course just examine options. Although my YJ may be getting a LS soon.
There's no way I would spend 35 ish for a 392 plus incidentals. For me, the whole point of getting a V8 is to have the power I want for big tires and from what I have seen over the years, an LS or better yet, an LT will do it better and for less money. Granted, you need to use a shop that knows how to install and work on an LS and LT.

Top Bottom