rough country vs smittybilt Gen 3 winch - what's best for the money

I have to say, conversations like this crack me up. I'm sure it's just because I'm old but you know, there was a time when a lot of us used to go wheeling with just tow points and recovery straps.

Curious how many people here could use a hilift as a winch without googling it first 🤣
Go super old school.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have to say, conversations like this crack me up. I'm sure it's just because I'm old but you know, there was a time when a lot of us used to go wheeling with just tow points and recovery straps.

I’ve never needed a winch, really. Mostly I’ve pulled other people out with winches.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I’ve never needed a winch, really. Mostly I’ve pulled other people out with winches.

I needed it once on Pritchett and my Chinese piece of shit didn’t work. Well I needed it a couple times on Pritchett but it didn’t work any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

FFPulley77

Hooked
LOL - oh yeah, that or know what a come-a-long is. :crazyeyes:

Ha!! I helped pull a buddy’s Nissan hardbody 4x4 out of a sandy creek bottom with a come-a-long back on the day. There were many beers drank around the campfire after that workout.

Ddays

Hooked
LOL - oh yeah, that or know what a come-a-long is. :crazyeyes:

LMAO! An old rusty chain and a come-along were my recovery equipment growing up. I have to say, it worked every time!

Well, except for that one time I left the handle in the garage......:rolleyes2:

FFPulley77

Hooked
Ha!! I helped pull a buddy’s Nissan hardbody 4x4 out of a sandy creek bottom with a come-a-long back on the day. There were many beers drank around the campfire after that workout.

Btw... that’s not a condescending “gotcha” ha. I don’t use “lol” a lot.

JT@623

Hooked
LOL I used to carry a comalong and a high lift never had the need for a winch but now I’m old and pushing a button is much easier.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I'll add, I unfortunately cheaped out several years ago and bought a Shitybilt X20. Based on a friends recommendation and before I knew better... It works for what I've needed it for when it works... I can't remember if I've had to warranty it 2 or 3 times in the past 3 years for wiring issues. First one the heat shrink contact/connectors weren't even heat shrunk and the solder/crimps were dogshit. I'm pretty sure my 5yo could solder better than the person building it. Warranty, took about a month to get a new controller. Second one the wiring fried the first time I fired her up. Was just cycling the winch per the recommendation to run it once a month. Third time now that I'm thinking about it was probably due to the wires burning up. I think it toasted the wired remote. But they sent a new controller and remote.

I will say the subsequent controllers did have better crimps/solder and the heat shrink connections were actually shrunk down. But still enough issues I wish I'd saved for a warn. Also, at that time they didn't have a cost effective option like the VR.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
My advice is to get the Warn VR evo 10 with the steel cable. It goes for about $564.00. For a little bit more you can get the 12.
If you're good with a Chinese made winch, at least go for the best one made. And it is still in a very affordable price range.

Last edited:
Top Bottom