RFI- SoCal Trails For Beginner With Stock Wrangler?

GP NOIR

Hooked
I've got a friend in the LA area with a stock two door 2018 JK (not a Rubicon) he bought about a year ago. It still has street tires. He's never had it anywhere that needed 4 wheel drive, let alone 4 low. We're laying the ground work for a day trip in the next couple months and I'm looking for suggestions for trails that he can get some experience using 4 wheel drive and build his confidence without getting in over his head.

I have experience with some areas, such as Mojave around the Tehachapi Mountains, Big Bear and such. But it's been some years since I've had the chance to explore the California back country. My new job will let me have 3 day weekends and I'll be driving out from the SLC area.

The plan is for a day trip with a stop for trail lunch and maybe a motel the night before and/or after. I'm a dawn till midnight kind of guy, but my friend and his girl isn't. I need help to keep things in perspective :)

Thanks!

Corral Canyon just past Pine Valley! Perfect area to progress in skill and capability, variety of trails and difficulty. Here's my first time there and my most recent trip.

20210212_122244.jpg
20220401_124046.jpg

GP NOIR

Hooked
You writin RFIs on WAYALIFE?
Are you in design / construction?
RFI- Request For Information. Just something I picked up on another forum. When folks want to get information, they'd say something like "RFI- Chainsaws" to start a thread about chainsaws.

I'm not in construction and lucky if I can identify a claw hammer two out of three times.

RFI- Request For Information. Just something I picked up on another forum. When folks want to get information, they'd say something like "RFI- Chainsaws" to start a thread about chainsaws.

I'm not in construction and lucky if I can identify a claw hammer two out of three times.
Haha, Gotchya. Yea I’ve never heard anyone outside of the office say RFI. At work, I know the structural engineer didn’t define connections enough on the plans if the RFI count is above 500 at six months into the project.

have fun wheeling with your friends 🍻

JimLee

Hooked
This is the time of year for Death Valley! Numerous trails out behind Ballarat: Pleasant canyon, Middle Park canyon, South Park canyon, Goler wash, Mengel pass, all of which can be done in a stock Wrangler and are lightly travelled (Mengel pass and part of South park canyon may be a little tricky on street tires and no lift, but I've seen them both done in stock Wranglers, pick your lines!). This is a limited time offer, late October or November snow will make the top ends of Pleasant, Middle Park, and South Park canyons inaccessible.

Bradlybob

There are lots of dirt roads and trails around Big Bear, from mild to wild. The drive from BB to Pioneer Town has a few side trails to play around on and kids will enjoy Pioneer Town if there are any. The weather is nice now too.

Top Bottom