Replacing ball joints on 18 JLUR...

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I replaced all four ball joints with Spicer steel replacements. As some of you know, there is a collar on top for both sides. On driver side, when disassembled, collar will easily slide in and out of spindle. However, after pressing in bj's, putting spindle on and pre loading bj's, the collar will want to slide downward while torquing. I will then looses both top and bottom nuts, slide collar back up, but same thing keeps happening. Pass side collar about 1/8" downward of spindle. Drivers side, best I can get when torquing is about 5/16" Is this a problem?

I am thinking the collar is there, because the JL spindle is aluminum, and will flex way more than iron like previous models.

IMG_3568.jpg
IMG_3567.jpg

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
did you figure this out?

I've had a shimmy on the passenger side for a few months and after having Discount balance the tires a bunch of times, I asked them to check the balance before assuming they were out of balance.

Both tires tested in balance so I think it may actually be the ball joint.

going to check it this weekend and swap them out with the HD units if needed.

from what I can see as they are now, that sleeve is pressed in, no gap.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
did you figure this out?

I've had a shimmy on the passenger side for a few months and after having Discount balance the tires a bunch of times, I asked them to check the balance before assuming they were out of balance.

Both tires tested in balance so I think it may actually be the ball joint.

going to check it this weekend and swap them out with the HD units if needed.

from what I can see as they are now, that sleeve is pressed in, no gap.

Jeeep,

I think the aluminum spindle may be slightly bent; that is why collar wants to sit where it currently is. Like I stated in orig post, I think collars are used because the spindle is aluminum. That is my current theory.
SPC makes multiple collars for the JL to correct camber/caster. Right now I am waiting until I get my RCV axles in, install them, then have alignment checked. Once I see angle numbers while on the rack, I will determine what...if anything to do next. I'll post when I do.

Bierpower

Hooked
Judging by what looks like a gap around the collar I wouldn't drive that much the way it is. If that collar is tapered and not seated all of the way it is going to wear into the aluminum rather quickly and ruin your spindle. Best bet would be to take it back apart and try to figure out why it's not tightening down all the way. tapatalk_1598542781128~2.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Judging by what looks like a gap around the collar I wouldn't drive that much the way it is. If that collar is tapered and not seated all of the way it is going to wear into the aluminum rather quickly and ruin your spindle. Best bet would be to take it back apart and try to figure out why it's not tightening down all the way.

[/URL]

I think spindle is bent and probably needs to be replaced anyway. But...when my axles come in, I plan to disassemble left side again and see if aI can get collar up farther.

CalSgt

Hooked
Judging by what looks like a gap around the collar I wouldn't drive that much the way it is. If that collar is tapered and not seated all of the way it is going to wear into the aluminum rather quickly and ruin your spindle. Best bet would be to take it back apart and try to figure out why it's not tightening down all the way. View attachment 352455

Sooo.... If you were able to tighten that gap down tight the cotter pin looks like it would be well above the notches in the castle nut. Something definitely doesn't seem right.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Here’s my factory driver side and passenger side upper ball joints. I’m pretty sure the gap is normal. The lowers are flush though.
IMG_0703.jpg
IMG_0705.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Bierpower

Hooked
Both of our rigs look like that. About 1/8" space on all of the uppers.
Here’s my factory driver side and passenger side upper ball joints. I’m pretty sure the gap is normal. The lowers are flush though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
Sooo.... If you were able to tighten that gap down tight the cotter pin looks like it would be well above the notches in the castle nut. Something definitely doesn't seem right.
I think we're looking at different gaps. I wasn't referring to the gap between the blue lines. If you zoom in on the picture it looks like there is a gap between the red lines which would mean the ball joint is not seated and just bouncing around in the knuckle. tapatalk_1598542781128~3.jpeg

Last edited:

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I see what it is. After looking at this constantly, I see that my ball joint with the larger gap on collar is not up inside the spindle. When comparing both sides (see my pix) you will see it too.

Top Bottom