Replacing Alternator on 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU

BaileyRhoden

I've searched online and can't seem to find a "how to" or instructions on how to change the alternator (myself) in my 2019 Wrangler JLU.
Any help? Would it be essentially the same as changing them on a 2018? Those are the only ones I can find videos on about how to replace them.
Thank you!

CalSgt

Hooked
I've searched online and can't seem to find a "how to" or instructions on how to change the alternator (myself) in my 2019 Wrangler JLU.
Any help? Would it be essentially the same as changing them on a 2018? Those are the only ones I can find videos on about how to replace them.
Thank you!
Sub'd

What engine do you have?

ETA: Why don't you head on over to the give us a wave thread and introduce yourself.

Upvote 0

kevman65

Hooked
It's pretty much the same for any vehicle.

Will take you longer to get everything out of the way to actually get to the alternator than it will to remove it.

Upvote 0

kevman65

Hooked
Take loads of pictures as you're disassembling everything, that way you have a visual record of how it came apart.

You will want to remove the tube from the air box to the throttle body, there are connections on it you have to pay attention to.
If you have an engine cover, probably want that out of your way too, makes it easier to see everything.

You can pin the tensioner pulley out of the way, have to find the hole and something the right size to go in it. Or you can take the tension off the belt and slip it off a big pulley that's easy to get to. That will give you enough slack to just pull out the alternator and put the new one in without fighting the belt. Good idea to check your serpentine belt, now would be a perfect time to replace it if it's chunked out.

Not a difficult job, but if you don't have mechanical ability any task looks daunting.

Upvote 0

BaileyRhoden

Take loads of pictures as you're disassembling everything, that way you have a visual record of how it came apart.

You will want to remove the tube from the air box to the throttle body, there are connections on it you have to pay attention to.
If you have an engine cover, probably want that out of your way too, makes it easier to see everything.

You can pin the tensioner pulley out of the way, have to find the hole and something the right size to go in it. Or you can take the tension off the belt and slip it off a big pulley that's easy to get to. That will give you enough slack to just pull out the alternator and put the new one in without fighting the belt. Good idea to check your serpentine belt, now would be a perfect time to replace it if it's chunked out.

Not a difficult job, but if you don't have mechanical ability any task looks daunting.
Thank you for the advice on photos! I hadn't thought of that yet.

I've already had to replace my front ball joints and track bar.
My tie rod and drag link were next but my alternator going out put a chink in that chain!

But I put all of the easy stuff on myself, lift, tires, bumpers, and fenders. Just learning as I go! There's so much I wanna do to it - if stuff would stop breaking on me :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

JimLee

Hooked

My tie rod and drag link were next but my alternator going out put a chink in that chain!

But I put all of the easy stuff on myself, lift, tires, bumpers, and fenders. Just learning as I go! There's so much I wanna do to it - if stuff would stop breaking on me :ROFLMAO:
I've saved my own ass (from my own ass) with pictures many a time. And then when someone comes along later and asks how to do it you can be all "hold my beer, I've got pictures" Double win. It's not just limited to Jeep work either. Take em early, take em often.

Upvote 0

duktrx

Just Empty Every Pocket (JEEP). There are far too many advantages to wrenching on your own rig, saves money that can be spent elsewhere on the rig. Even in the internet age, I have found a Haynes manual is a great resource; I keep one in the Jeep, so I have all the torque specs handy.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom