Replace the Front Output Shaft Yoke?

jesse3638

Hooked
Well after my last oil change and service I noticed what looked like T-case fluid being slung on the underside of the jeep originating from the front output shaft area. I assumed the seal was wearing out and it would need to be changed. Also while driving I could hear a rotational chirping sound. I assumed it was the centering ball of the front drive shaft. After having that inspected by my local driveline shop it was determined the drive shaft was good to go.

So today I decided to finally replace the seal and when I pulled the output shaft Yoke I noticed some scoring on it as well as the stock metal dust shield I had installed on the yoke. Looking at the back side of the dust shield i think i found where the chirping was coming from. It looks like it was making contact with the housing of the T-case. Also there was what appeared to be rotational wear on it. I'm assuming this was a result of my son's mud bog adventure and dirt or debris getting forced into the seal. There is a small burr on the dust shield as well which is most likely the culprit of the seal wearing out. I will not be reinstalling the metal dust shield as I believe this was optional on the JE Reel 1310 front shaft.

Ok after my rambling, to my question. Given the scoring on the front output yoke should I replace it prior to reinstalling it? The scoring is not on the entire circumference of the yoke. Maybe a 1/4 or less and does not appear to have been continuous so I don't believe it was caused by a bent output shaft or driveline vibration. I don't want my seal to wear out prematurely or just continue leak after this pain in the ass job. I've attached pics to show what I'm seeing. Any help is much appreciated.

Image%20(5).jpg Image%20(7).jpg Image%20(8).jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
If the scoring can be felt with your fingernail and if it's in the exact same spot that the lip of the new seal will ride on, I would replace it.

jesse3638

Hooked
If the scoring can be felt with your fingernail and if it's in the exact same spot that the lip of the new seal will ride on, I would replace it.
I can definitely feel them and I'm not sure exactly where it'll ride in relation to the seal. I'll probably have it ordered locally so I'll take it in and have my driveline guy look at it too. Thanks for the help.

jesse3638

Hooked
Well I went to my local shop to pick up a new yoke and showed him the old one. He said to ditch the dust shield and the scoring is really minor so I should have no issues with it. I'll swap the seal and run my old yoke. I'll keep everyone posted as to how it holds up.

Slimebones

Well I went to my local shop to pick up a new yoke and showed him the old one. He said to ditch the dust shield and the scoring is really minor so I should have no issues with it. I'll swap the seal and run my old yoke. I'll keep everyone posted as to how it holds up.

Nix that. Do as WJCO suggests or you will be tearing it off again. Fingernail test is pretty reliable.

If the scratch has sharp edges it’ll take out the seal again as someone mentioned attacking it with some emery cloth to knock down the edges would help.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jesse3638

Hooked
Nix that. Do as WJCO suggests or you will be tearing it off again. Fingernail test is pretty reliable.
If the scratch has sharp edges it’ll take out the seal again as someone mentioned attacking it with some emery cloth to knock down the edges would help.

There isn't any sharp edges. I believe the burr on dust shield is what took out the seal. I do have Emery cloth and will probably smooth it out. As always this project has escalated...haha. I installed an AfE Y-pipe when I installed the lift and it's in the way. This is making it impossible to maneuver the seal puller so now I'm pulling the exhaust off. I've been wanting to put the stock Y-pipe back on anyway. At least that's what I'm telling myself. On the plus side we don't have road salt or wet winters so it wasn't too bad to pull.

What’s your issue with the puller? Handle too long to pry sideways? Saw blade fixes that pretty quick

jesse3638

Hooked
What’s your issue with the puller? Handle too long to pry sideways? Saw blade fixes that pretty quick

Well I need the length to have enough leverage. Like I said I installed the AfE Y-pipe so it moves the location of the cross over from in front of the trans to behind it and right in front of the front output shaft. Once its out of the way I should be able to get it no problem. Famous last words...haha.

Top Bottom