Removing the Rancho Oil Pan Skid

BONDSY

Running TeraFlex long arms now, the tranny pan is exposed to the rocks. I'm used to having the OEM tranny skid, so the other day I ordered the tranny skid from Off-Road Evolution. I know it's a three piece system covering the oil pan, tranny pan, with a connector. I want to order all three pieces but I currently have the Rancho oil pan skid installed. I used a crap load of Copper RTV. How would I go about getting that thing off?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Running TeraFlex long arms now, the tranny pan is exposed to the rocks. I'm used to having the OEM tranny skid, so the other day I ordered the tranny skid from Off-Road Evolution. I know it's a three piece system covering the oil pan, tranny pan, with a connector. I want to order all three pieces but I currently have the Rancho oil pan skid installed. I used a crap load of Copper RTV. How would I go about getting that thing off?

honestly, you might be better off trying to find a take off oil pan from someone who installed a benchmark pan and replace what you have.

BONDSY

honestly, you might be better off trying to find a take off oil pan from someone who installed a benchmark pan and replace what you have.

Oh man I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I just ordered the rest of the EVO set up.
What if I used some wd-40 to loosen up the rtv, kinda soak it for a week or so?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I just ordered the rest of the EVO set up.
What if I used some wd-40 to loosen up the rtv, kinda soak it for a week or so?

don't think it'd make a difference. but, you know what, i think i still have my old pan back from when i installed a benchmark pan. i'll try looking for it and get back to you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
until i get a chance to look, another thing you might try is using a slide hammer to maybe see if you can't knock it free.

BONDSY

don't think it'd make a difference. but, you know what, i think i still have my old pan back from when i installed a benchmark pan. i'll try looking for it and get back to you.

Really.... that would be awesome!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

until i get a chance to look, another thing you might try is using a slide hammer to maybe see if you can't knock it free.

I soaked it with WD-40 and Liquid Wrench, When I get home from work tomorrow I'll see what I can do with the hammer.

Thanks Eddie.:beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure I understand this. BONDSY is trying to remove an oil pan?

he has a rancho oil pan skid plate, the kind that slips over the oil pan and is held in place with rtv. contrary to what the skeptics will tell you, when installed right, it's near impossible to remove.

BONDSY

wayoflife said:
he has a rancho oil pan skid plate, the kind that slips over the oil pan and is held in place with rtv. contrary to what the skeptics will tell you, when installed right, it's near impossible to remove.

I'm sure I installed it pretty well. I was afraid I would hear that skid hitting the pavement while I'm flying down the freeway. I even used a backup cable to secure it if it did fall off. Now I wish I would, hear it hit the freeway.

BONDSY

Well it took a while, and it's something I don't want to have to do again, but I was with a little probing, prying, tweaking, and effort, able to get the
Rancho Skid off.:crazyeyes: Now I await something superior.

f05d9574.jpg

1ee07af6.jpg

Robar

The Enforcer
Good job, but I bet Carson could have done it in 10 minutes with just a plastic spoon. :cheesy:

Top Bottom