Rear Window Defrost grid connection

SilverBack

Ok, so it's the season that requires the use of the defroster on a regular basis. Two days ago mine worked and yesterday it didn't. I found the problem and think I have a solution but wanted to see if the forum might no better....... I know, I know......

Anyway, the connection from the wiring harness directly to the glass has somehow broken. I thought to solder it back on solder a different connector on and connect that way. My concerns are1- will solder hold up to the current? 2- will solder even stick? 3- is there a producing the market mad for this type of connects?

Thanks in advance everyone!!!!

jeeeep

Hooked
Ok, so it's the season that requires the use of the defroster on a regular basis. Two days ago mine worked and yesterday it didn't. I found the problem and think I have a solution but wanted to see if the forum might no better....... I know, I know......

Anyway, the connection from the wiring harness directly to the glass has somehow broken. I thought to solder it back on solder a different connector on and connect that way. My concerns are1- will solder hold up to the current? 2- will solder even stick? 3- is there a producing the market mad for this type of connects?

Thanks in advance everyone!!!!

this should help:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?23086-Rear-Window-Defroster-Fix&highlight=rear+defroster

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
All you need to do is clean up the connector's mounting surface and the bottom of the connector. Apply solder flux to both (cleaned) surfaces and then use the soldering iron to melt the existing solder to re-attach the connector. Hold the connector with needle nose pliers while soldering to ensure it is firmly mounted.

It's a very simple repair. The thread mentioned above is my thread with a few pictures. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any pictures while I was soldering.

My repair is still holding up perfectly.

-Matt

Top Bottom