Rear Wheel Bearing noise?

Brute

Hooked
I've got a noise that sounds like it's coming from my rear passenger side...rear wheel bearing? It's an intermittent sound...and only seems to occur after driving for awhile after it heats up...this happening on my 2015 Anvil JKUR...PR 60 semifloat…

Recently had all four rotors replaced, fairly certain it is not a brake noise...braking does not change the noise.

If it is a rear wheel bearing, is it easier (aka cheaper) to have the bearing cut off the axle and find someone with a press to put back on...or order a new axle with new bearings already pressed on?

Mahalo...

boardsurfer

Same axle/shaft here. I had a new bearing and seal pressed on a few months ago. I think I was all in $90-100 parts and labor. I dont know what a new shaft cost though.

jesse3638

Hooked
I know its not the same thing but on my Titan I had the rear axle seal leak. Had to remove the bearing and ring and have all new parts pressed on. The parts were under $100 and had it done at a local NAPA for $25. Pulled the shaft dropped it off with the parts and came back in an hour to pick it up all assembled. Pretty easy and cost effective.

Slimebones

Since you are cutting the bearing off yourself, and if you are feeling like you want a cool task to complete, try heating the new bearing up with a heat gun and it will drop right on the shaft. Then tap it down with a punch. You will know when it is seated by the sound as you tap it. I believe the top threshold temp to heat it up is somewhere around 300 degrees F. using an infrared thermometer. You can get the bearing number from Dynatrac and cross reference it at your local Napa. Of course, the simpler method is to have the shop press the bearings on and off.

WJCO

Meme King
There's pros/cons to each (repair vs replace). Press services could range from 20-100 bucks to do the job. Seriously that's one tool that I would invest in if you own a jeep. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a press if you're not staying on the island that long though. But once you move, it is a great tool. Even if you just need to help out a friend.

Brute

Hooked
Since you are cutting the bearing off yourself, and if you are feeling like you want a cool task to complete, try heating the new bearing up with a heat gun and it will drop right on the shaft. Then tap it down with a punch. You will know when it is seated by the sound as you tap it. I believe the top threshold temp to heat it up is somewhere around 300 degrees F. using an infrared thermometer. You can get the bearing number from Dynatrac and cross reference it at your local Napa. Of course, the simpler method is to have the shop press the bearings on and off.

There's pros/cons to each (repair vs replace). Press services could range from 20-100 bucks to do the job. Seriously that's one tool that I would invest in if you own a jeep. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a press if you're not staying on the island that long though. But once you move, it is a great tool. Even if you just need to help out a friend.

I won't be doing it myself...we sold the house & renting a condo temporarily until our youngest grads high school next year...

WJCO

Meme King
I won't be doing it myself...we sold the house & renting a condo temporarily until our youngest grads high school next year...

Exactly. You're too old for this shit. Bring/ship the Jeep down here (since I know you'll be buying property here) , supply the parts, and I'll provide my press/services, beer, BBQ, and we'll have a good time. :beer:

RCVRY

Exactly. You're too old for this shit. Bring/ship the Jeep down here (since I know you'll be buying property here) , supply the parts, and I'll provide my press/services, beer, BBQ, and we'll have a good time. :beer:

Starting to wish my bearings were going bad...sweet offer.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked

You are far too generous...how can I turn that down?

A.J.

I've got a noise that sounds like it's coming from my rear passenger side...rear wheel bearing? It's an intermittent sound...and only seems to occur after driving for awhile after it heats up...this happening on my 2015 Anvil JKUR...PR 60 semifloat…

Recently had all four rotors replaced, fairly certain it is not a brake noise...braking does not change the noise.

If it is a rear wheel bearing, is it easier (aka cheaper) to have the bearing cut off the axle and find someone with a press to put back on...or order a new axle with new bearings already pressed on?

Mahalo...

Sometimes if the backing plate is really close it will rub the rotor when things warm up. Noise wise it sounds much like a bent flange as mentioned but where you just had rotors replaced it could be a small casting difference scraping the rotor when it heats up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked

Immediately thought of this "...for a good time, for a good time call: 867-5309.."

Top Bottom