Rear coil spring correction plates

MtnJeep08

My rear springs have a pretty good bow in them. I can adjust my control arms but not sure if I should because my axle is pretty well centered. Are coil correction plates worth getting or trying to adjust the arms?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it safe to assume you have an aftermarket drive shaft installed and you've set your pinion angle to be in line with it? And, that's why you're seeing bowing? If so, the bow you see is totally normal and I would leave well enough alone especially on a 4-door like I think you have (based on your avatar). Now if you don't have an aftermarket drive shaft, the question needs to be asked, why do you have your axle pushed back so far?

Upvote 1

MtnJeep08

Sorry still new to this. When I installed the lift I adjusted the control arms to the specs given. Took it in for an alignment shop and they said they made some minor adjustments. I am running the stock rear shaft and the pinion and driveshaft look lined up. Good mechanics and alignment shops are hard to come by around here so I have been learning as I go. FDDFF44F-745F-48CB-AF82-ECD8184E1188.jpeg 3A178D15-B4BF-4A96-8124-AB532EE109D1.jpeg

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked
Rotate your axle forward several degrees, thee is no need to align your pinion to your driveshaft with the stock rzepa driveshaft. That type of driveshaft to pinion alignment is needed for double cardan type aftermarket shafts

Upvote 1

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry still new to this. When I installed the lift I adjusted the control arms to the specs given. Took it in for an alignment shop and they said they made some minor adjustments. I am running the stock rear shaft and the pinion and driveshaft look lined up. Good mechanics and alignment shops are hard to come by around here so I have been learning as I go.
Okay, being that you're running a factory drive shaft that has rzeppa joints, you really didn't need to have your pinion set to be in line with it. That is probably the biggest reason why your coils are bowing and again, it's pretty normal. Looking at your pics, it does seem like it could be a bit much and that's probably because your lower control arms are set too long. This is a common error even by reputable manufacturers being that they're going for a "look" that has your wheels looking "centered" at ride height. The problem is, your axle travels in an arc and at full flex, they will be way too far back and you'll most likely have rubbing issues on the pinch seam. The proper solution is to make a minor adjustment on the lower arms, typically something like a 1/4" at most for a 3" lift. But, if you're happy with how things are set, I would recommend coil correction plates like the kind that JKS makes over correction wedges like other manufacturers push.

Upvote 0

MtnJeep08

Rotate your axle forward several degrees, thee is no need to align your pinion to your driveshaft with the stock rzepa driveshaft. That type of driveshaft to pinion alignment is needed for double cardan type aftermarket shafts
Ok thanks I will adjust the arms.

Upvote 0

MtnJeep08

Okay, being that you're running a factory drive shaft that has rzeppa joints, you really didn't need to have your pinion set to be in line with it. That is probably the biggest reason why your coils are bowing and again, it's pretty normal. Looking at your pics, it does seem like it could be a bit much and that's probably because your lower control arms are set too long. This is a common error even by reputable manufacturers being that they're going for a "look" that has your wheels looking "centered" at ride height. The problem is, your axle travels in an arc and at full flex, they will be way too far back and you'll most likely have rubbing issues on the pinch seam. The proper solution is to make a minor adjustment on the lower arms, typically something like a 1/4" at most for a 3" lift. But, if you're happy with how things are set, I would recommend coil correction plates like the kind that JKS makes over correction wedges like other manufacturers push.
Thank you for the explanation. I think I will adjust the arms a bit. The guidance is much appreciated!

Upvote 0
Top Bottom