Rear brakes or something worse?

desertrunner

Pulled out the 2dr today and as I started driving I heard a grinding and squiking noise from the right rear. Pulled the tire to look at the brake pads and they both look almost new but the caliper is rubbing on the rotor and not centered. Almost like for some reason the shaft is pushing the rotor out farther. All the bots appear to be tight and not missing. Anyone think this is a brake issue or should I drain the diff and pray it's not in there?
20211031_185335.jpg
20211031_182831.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I'm not seeing any issues in your pictures. It's not uncommon to hear weird brake noises when a vehicle has sat for awhile. What exactly are you seeing?

desertrunner

I'm not seeing any issues in your pictures. It's not uncommon to hear weird brake noises when a vehicle has sat for awhile. What exactly are you seeing?
It only sat for 1 day I drove it all last week
If you look at the first picture the left pad is pushed all the way forward and on the right side the caliper is riding on the rotor. Like the rotor is pushed too far out to the right

John90XJ

Are the caliper pins moving smoothly or are they stuck? It could simply be a lack of disc brake grease.

desertrunner

Let me try again here. The screwdriver is pointed at the part of the caliper grinding on the rotor. The piston is removed the slides are free and shouldn't matter. That pice is mounted to the axle by the 2 bolts that are tight. 20211031_200718.jpg 20211031_200736.jpg

desertrunner

Is it constant like that or is the rotor warped?
Before I pulled the tire I tried rotating it by hand with the tcase in N and E brake off and it was constantly hard to move. Where the other side was free with the normal pad contact. So I pulled the tire and saw that. Just don't want to pull the shaft or the diff cover yet if it's possibly a brake issue but I don't know why the caliper would be that far over

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Looks like the shaft is being pushed out somehow as you mentioned. Waaaay too much space between the rotor and dust shield.

CE810B14-37E6-4CC6-8951-747CDA8CED43.jpeg

desertrunner

Looks like the shaft is being pushed out somehow as you mentioned. Waaaay too much space between the rotor and dust shield.
That's my fear. Coupled with the grinding noise maybe a shaft bearing or something in the diff. I swear I can't catch a break right now with all of my cars.

BaddestCross

That's my fear. Coupled with the grinding noise maybe a shaft bearing or something in the diff. I swear I can't catch a break right now with all of my cars.
Any signs of axle fluid? Someone (read *me* 🙄) forgot to tighten the bolts that hold the plate to the axle after replacing the gears and had some weirdness going on.

Spazbyt

Hooked
Nothing in the diff holds the shaft in. If all the bolts are tight then the axle bearing retainer ring may have slipped. Pull the shaft and check that the ring is seated against the bearing. I'm not sure what would cause it to move but I think that's the only thing it could be. I2353148_1.png

desertrunner

Any signs of axle fluid? Someone (read *me* 🙄) forgot to tighten the bolts that hold the plate to the axle after replacing the gears and had some weirdness going on.
Nothing in the diff holds the shaft in. If all the bolts are tight then the axle bearing retainer ring may have slipped. Pull the shaft and check that the ring is seated against the bearing. I'm not sure what would cause it to move but I think that's the only thing it could be. View attachment 368496
Ok maybe I'll look at the shaft before draining the diff. No signs of oil anywhere.
Those 4 bolts appear to be tight and all even. And they are Dynatrac shafts that had the bearing pressed on when I received them.
I will say the shop that did the gear and locker install I was less than impressed with and they were the ones that put the shafts in. If it's as easy as getting a new bearing pressed on that would be great. I just don't see the brake caliper being the issue it looked like the rotor got pushed out

WJCO

Meme King
I see what you're saying now. I would pull the rotor first, just to see if the e-brake hardware is all installed ok. But yes something is keeping that rotor pushed out too far.

couple things.
1. Throw a couple lug nuts on to hold the rotor tight where it normally is.
2. is there a groove in the rotor where you think it’s riding.

Top Bottom